Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am in the process of applying for a partner (820) visa. As part of the health check needed for the visa, I am required to have a chest x-ray, as i have spent more than 3 months in the past 5 years in a "higher risk" country (Hong Kong). I am currently pregnant and have been advised by my doctor not to risk having the chest x-ray as it could harm my baby. Does anyone have any ideas about how strictly the immigration dept will insist on the chest-xray requirement and whether there are any workarounds for pregnant women? I am perfectly healthy. I am really anxious about this requirement if anyone could please provide me with some insight, it would be hugely appreciated. I'm not sure how much this will slow down my application either. Does anyone have any ideas how long the processing of the 820 visa is taking currently? I will be submitting mine to the Sydney processing centre.

Thank you.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You'll still need to take it. However if you inform them, DIAC might postpone this request until just before visa grant.

There is no workaround for a health requirements.

This is not an immigration advice

·
Registered
520 Posts
On the x-ray forms they ask if you are pregnant and strongly suggest waiting until you give birth to have the x-ray done if you are. And when I did my medicals when I went in for the x-ray I was also asked by the radiologist if I may be pregnant. (I'm not pregnant so I'm unsure if she would/could have refused to do it if I was). Because the Australian government recommends against a chest x-ray when you're pregnant I'm pretty sure that if you tell DIAC the situation they will continue processing your application and simply wait until you can complete the x-ray to have your visa granted.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Hi all, I am in the process of applying for a partner (820) visa. As part of the health check needed for the visa, I am required to have a chest x-ray, as i have spent more than 3 months in the past 5 years in a "higher risk" country (Hong Kong). I am currently pregnant and have been advised by my doctor not to risk having the chest x-ray as it could harm my baby. Does anyone have any ideas about how strictly the immigration dept will insist on the chest-xray requirement and whether there are any workarounds for pregnant women? I am perfectly healthy. I am really anxious about this requirement if anyone could please provide me with some insight, it would be hugely appreciated. I'm not sure how much this will slow down my application either. Does anyone have any ideas how long the processing of the 820 visa is taking currently? I will be submitting mine to the Sydney processing centre.

Thank you.
EDIT: I just realized you were applying onshore. DOH. So there's no harm in delaying things a little until after the baby's born. More complex a decision if someone were offshore and wanting to be with their partner when the baby was born.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.