Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I had a question regarding the 155 visa, in particular, the 1 year version where you must "Have ties to benefit Australia". I appreciate everyone's help on this forum and would like to thank you in advance for reading. If anyone has actually had experience with this I'd also love to hear your story.

My story:
My wife is currently on an 820 temporary partner visa and awaiting the 801 permanent grant. We lodged onshore but won't be in Australia at the time of grant due to her work taking us overseas together. The contract of work is for at least 5 years, so once the 801 is granted we won't meet the eligibility for a 5 year travel facility Return Resident Visa when her contract of work ends. We'll have spent the entire time continuously outside of Australia for 5+ years.

I see that the Home Affairs website has an option to come back on a 1-year travel facility (155 - Have ties to benefit Australia). Given we will have lived together the entire time I think we meet those criteria. For reference it is pasted below:

"Personal ties of benefit: You are, or have been, a participating member of the Australian community and economy. We also take into account living in Australia for a substantial period of time or living overseas with an Australian citizen partner, and having personal assets or close family members who live in Australia that are both substantial and of benefit to Australia."

Question:
I basically want to know, once granted the 801 when offshore is it as indefinitely lasting as it suggests?

Home Affairs website says:
"The Partner visa (subclass 801) is a permanent visa – it lasts indefinitely. It starts on the date it is granted."

If we miss 5+ years, for arguements sake, let us say 10 continuous years with the odd visit could we still re-enter on a more permanent basis by applying for the 155 (1 year facility... at least to start with)? Or, is there a time period after which the indefinitely last 801 actually expires.

As a side note, if you have an 801 but want to return after 5+ years (for a short visit, as work may still be overseas) can you/would you do so on a Tourist visa (600) without compromising the 801 or any other visa/residency status?

I am getting a bit excited as I thought we would not be able to re-enter! Hoping to confirm these things are possible.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
801 lasts indefinitely unless superceeded by a new visa grant.

Travel facility expires after 5 years at which point you need a rrv. No rrv no rentry.

If you get a tourist visa you will loose the visa you are currently on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
801 lasts indefinitely unless superceeded by a new visa grant.

Travel facility expires after 5 years at which point you need a rrv. No rrv no rentry.

If you get a tourist visa you will loose the visa you are currently on.
Thanks Mania, It is good to know that we the only catch is that we always have to get the 1-year RRV in order to return for a visit after the 5 year period on the 801 expires. Bit more costly than a tourist visa but awesome that there is an option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.