Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

A few quick questions in regards to the Resident Return Visa (155).

Situation: My wife and I returned to Australia in June 2015. Applied (6/2015) for a partner visa for my wife and was granted an 801 permanent partner visa (10/2016).

We are moving back overseas for work but likely to return to Australia each year (or at most 2 years apart).

Questions:

1) Does my wife qualify as living in Australia as a permanent resident for 2 years since we applied and got her bridging visa (09/2015), or only from the date her 801 visa was granted?

2) Should we apply for a 155 visa now, or wait closer to the 5 years travel expiry from when her 801 was granted?

Thanks in advance!

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To answer my own questions after waiting 3 hours on hold:

Hi Everyone,

A few quick questions in regards to the Resident Return Visa (155).

Situation: My wife and I returned to Australia in June 2015. Applied (6/2015) for a partner visa for my wife and was granted an 801 permanent partner visa (10/2016).

We are moving back overseas for work but likely to return to Australia each year (or at most 2 years apart).

Questions:

1) Does my wife qualify as living in Australia as a permanent resident for 2 years since we applied and got her bridging visa (09/2015), or only from the date her 801 visa was granted? The date is from when the visa is granted. You can make up the 2 years anytime within the initial 5 years from the granting of the 801 visa.

2) Should we apply for a 155 visa now, or wait closer to the 5 years travel expiry from when her 801 was granted? We should apply for one before just before we travel. It lasts a year.

Additional: If you let your initial 801 travel expire, it does not revoke the visa. However it does highlight a 'break' between residency in Australia which may affect applying for citizenship later on.

Thanks in advance!

David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.