Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice concerning a Resident Return Visa 155.

I just had my one year RRV expire on May 1st. I applied for a new RRV on the 4th of April.

I am a U.K passport holder who claims an Australian aged pension. I lived in Australia for 56 years, but have been living overseas for the past 11 years. I have 3 Australian children, one of whom lives in Australia still.

I am due to travel back to Australia to live permanently on the 5th of June.

I am worried about whether my new RRV will be processed in time and what will happen if I arrive back in Australia without my new visa having been granted. I am travelling back with my two adult children who are Australian passport holders.

My last 1 year RRV was processed in two weeks so I wasn't expecting such a delay!

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Mack

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Processing times have gone up significantly in the past year. The department is now quoting 47 days as the point at which 90% are finalized.

You must have some form of visa to return.

Reactions: chetu

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Well, unfortunately I can't risk waiting right up until the 5th of June for my visa. I'II probably have to cancel my flight if it hasn't been granted in the next two weeks.

Darn shame, I really thought I'd have enough time.

Is there any way of finding out how much longer it could take for sure?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Unfortunately, no. You can try calling and waiting on hold for hours just for someone to tell you they have your application in the system and it'll be processed when it's processed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's always the way isn't it?

BTW, when the department quote 47 days I assume they mean 47 working days?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response.

So you have been waiting 46 working days now? You would think your mum's visa should be done next week for sure you'd think. Trouble is the longer it takes the more worried you think something's wrong! Did they say anything else about the situation when you rang?

Anyway, please let me know how you get on. It's nice to hear about other people's situations, since applying through the immi site is such a blind experience.

I'm still waiting and have up until next week , then I have to cancel my flight and removalist. I've almost resigned myself it's not coming in time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've decided to call on Monday to explain my situation.

My Australian wife passed away on the 29th of May and I applied for my Return Visa on the 4th of April, booking tickets to Australia on the 5th of June thinking that would be enough time to get another visa.

Do you think if I explained that we have arranged a ceremony with our Australian family for the ashes it would help the visa to be processed faster on compassionate grounds?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave them a ring and they advised to me to attach a cover letter explaining my situation. So, I've done that and scanned the death certificate. The good news is that my application is being processed and they've had a look at it, so at least something is happening.

Fingers crossed I have my visa by next Monday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the response.

So you have been waiting 46 working days now? You would think your mum's visa should be done next week for sure you'd think. Trouble is the longer it takes the more worried you think something's wrong! Did they say anything else about the situation when you rang?

Anyway, please let me know how you get on. It's nice to hear about other people's situations, since applying through the immi site is such a blind experience.

I'm still waiting and have up until next week , then I have to cancel my flight and removalist. I've almost resigned myself it's not coming in time.
Unfortunately I don't think the processing times apply to applicants who don't meet the resident requirements. They've recently changed the processing times to 5-9 days, but my mother's status is still Received.

Glad to hear yours is being looked at - can I ask who / which number you called?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I rang 0161 2 61960196, which is the new global visa enquires service in Australia. My call got answered straight away. The line has only been open since the 14th - yesterday! Just press 1 for holiday visa enquiries because there's no specific option to choose for RRV's.

Edit - actually it says that number is only if you're overseas. It would be 131 881 in Australia I suppose?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/contact/make-enquiry

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I rang 0161 2 61960196, which is the new global visa enquires service in Australia. My call got answered straight away. The line has only been open since the 14th - yesterday! Just press 1 for holiday visa enquiries because there's no specific option to choose for RRV's.

Edit - actually it says that number is only if you're overseas. It would be 131 881 in Australia I suppose?

Good luck.
Thanks for the info - but it looks like the same number I called before. I did manage to get ahead of the massive 5 hour queue by pressing 1 though.

Again I got the same answer though - that there are delays and I have to email them if it's something urgent.

Let me know how you go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
[quoi

te=MackS;1882575]I rang 0161 2 61960196, which is the new global visa enquires service in Australia. My call got answered straight away. The line has only been open since the 14th - yesterday! Just press 1 for holiday visa enquiries because there's no specific option to choose for RRV's.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info - but it looks like the same number I called before. I did manage to get ahead of the massive 5 hour queue by pressing 1 though.

Again I got the same answer though - that there are delays and I have to email them if it's something urgent.

Let me know how you go![/QUOTE]

I am in the same position - applied 20th March, my PR expires 30th May.... I needed to travel international this week & have had to cancel.. Very frustrating as the Department is so difficult to contact.
I have attended the office in Melbourne - turned away because they cannot comment on pending applications.. Website is useless, with broken (404) links, no one to email & calling is the same situation as visiting the offices...
Visited my previous migration agent for $150 of advice - he suggested "writing" to dept of home affairs, it's a P.O. Box address - but, they do have an obligation to reply..!!!
Sent recorded delivery, scan of passport, receipt of payment & letter stating all appropriate details....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah it's a pretty horrible situation, especially when you've applied for the very same visa last year and get it in 9 working days. They will not be hurried that's for sure.

I very much expect to have to pull the plug on everything on Monday - removalist, house sale, plane tickets etc etc.

What I can't understand is how the immi site is now showing processing times as between 5 and 8 working days. Does that mean the worst is over in terms of waiting? They must have cleared a processing backlog to post those estimates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah it's a pretty horrible situation, especially when you've applied for the very same visa last year and get it in 9 working days. They will not be hurried that's for sure.

I very much expect to have to pull the plug on everything on Monday - removalist, house sale, plane tickets etc etc.

What I can't understand is how the immi site is now showing processing times as between 5 and 8 working days. Does that mean the worst is over in terms of waiting? They must have cleared a processing backlog to post those estimates.
Just letting you know that I emailed Home Affairs yesterday explaining my mother's urgent need to return and today the visa was granted!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That's great news! Just in time.. Best email you've received for a while I bet :)

I sent them an email too just in case in helps, but I think I'm just going to have to wait in line like you have and be patient... It will probably be about 47 working days and I've only been waiting 32.

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's great news! Just in time.. Best email you've received for a while I bet :)

I sent them an email too just in case in helps, but I think I'm just going to have to wait in line like you have and be patient... It will probably be about 47 working days and I've only been waiting 32.

Best of luck :)
Thank you, we've all been so stressed about this and now really relieved that it's finally granted.

It's true the application might have just been reaching the top of the queue anyways as we've been waiting for 45+ days now.

Just an FYI there's a disclaimer under the Processing Times section which says that applications that don't meet the resident requirements may take up to 12 weeks, which I don't remember was there before: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/155-

Good luck with your application as well, I hope yours gets granted soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Contact Details

Just letting you know that I emailed Home Affairs yesterday explaining my mother's urgent need to return and today the visa was granted!
Thanks for sharing this, Akilina - may I know the address you sent the email to? I'm in similar predicament for my mom - applied 9th March and still in "received" status since.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.