Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife (permanent resident for 30 years), myself (Australian Citizen) and our 3 children (all Australian Citizens) currently live abroad (nordic country). As we were last living in Australia in 2014, the last RRV visa for my wife was only for 1 year and that expired at the begining of this year. In November we applied for a new one, and it still hasn't been processed. Previously the 155 for 1 year was processed in a week.

As we will be visiting Australia immediately after Christmas we are starting to panic - when calling immi on +61261960196 all they can say is that all the information is on the web site, we can't help with specific cases. Emails go unanswered. Heaps of information was provided in the application: all our Australian passports, birth certificates, council rates and NSW Land Tax notices for our house in Sydney, ATO Tax Statements, NSW Driver's licence etc etc. So eligability for the 1 year 155 is not an issue.

Is it just that processing is now so slow? My wife also has a pending Citizenship application since September 2017.

Can anything be done to speed this up?
What happens when we try to board the plane in Singapore without the 155 visa? Is it possible to get to Sydney airport and sort this out there if it still hasn't been issued by then? Any consequences of arriving without the visa?

Thanks in advance for any tips or recent experiences with this situation!

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
If you haven't lived in Australia the past 2 years, RRVs are I think taking 12+ weeks to be processed. There's nothing you can do to speed it up. Your airline is unlikely to let your wife board the plane without a visa allowing you entry to Australia. If she's eligible for an ETA, that may be the best option to allow you to catch your flight.

Reactions: JandE

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Can anything be done to speed this up?
What happens when we try to board the plane in Singapore without the 155 visa? Is it possible to get to Sydney airport and sort this out there if it still hasn't been issued by then? Any consequences of arriving without the visa?

Thanks in advance for any tips or recent experiences with this situation!
When the same happened to me in 2000, I got an ETA and entered OK. I did have to have an interview at one stage, but that could have been due to needing another RRV later.

Times do change though, and this was a while ago. But I would definitely try to get an ETA if you have nothing else.

No visa at all would probably mean not being allowed on the plane.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.