Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a permanent resident of Australia since 1976. Unable to return to Australia during the lockdown.
My RRV expired in April 2021, found out at the airport in December when trying to fly back to Australia.
Submitted a new request for the return visa to Australia on 16 December, but haven't had any message from immigration aside from the automatic reply acknowledging the application and the payment.
Has anyone else had experience with getting the RRV while offshore?
Not sure if I should engage an immigration lawyer.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
If you don’t meet the residence requirement of 2 years in the previous 5, offshore RRV processing generally takes 8-12 weeks so you are well within that at the moment.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
the only information I've seen on home affairs website is 75% are finalized in one day, and 90% are finalized in 51days.
The problem is the 10% that are finalised in over 51 days.. Some of them well over.

Most applications probably have the required residence requirements and are eligible for an automatic fast grant.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Thanks Paul, the only information I've seen on home affairs website is 75% are finalized in one day, and 90% are finalized in 51days.
As the website says: “Generally, applications that meet the residence requirements will be processed within 5 working days from lodgement. Applications that do not meet the residence requirement will take longer to finalise, as published here.”

More than 80% of applications meet the objective residence requirement and are generally auto-granted immediately. Many onshore applications are also finalised fairly swiftly.

If you meet the residence requirement for this application, then there is an issue that should be followed up, otherwise I’d give it a few more weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May I know if you tried contacting the home affairs department by any chance? My husband lodged his december 29th and still havent heard anything back until now. we are stuck overseas due to covid lockdowns, and planning to go back there May 1st.
I submitted a new request for the return visa on 16 December.
People not directly connected with home affairs were advising me to wait, because home affairs were banked up with requests.
Contacting home affairs was useless.
They will not answer any specific questions about the return visa, because it's within the time frame.
Unfortunately the time frame for completion is open, infinity. So after waiting over 60 minutes on the phone, once you get through, they can't help you .
I suggest you wait another week or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I submitted a new request for the return visa on 16 December.
People not directly connected with home affairs were advising me to wait, because home affairs were banked up with requests.
Contacting home affairs was useless.
They will not answer any specific questions about the return visa, because it's within the time frame.
Unfortunately the time frame for completion is open, infinity. So after waiting over 60 minutes on the phone, once you get through, they can't help you .
I suggest you wait another week or so.

When he lodged his application, it says processing time is 89 days. Which already passed the processing time frame and they Recently they updated to only 73 days. It should be quicker but still no news until now. Many thanks for the information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When he lodged his application, it says processing time is 89 days. Which already passed the processing time frame and they Recently they updated to only 73 days. It should be quicker but still no news until now. Many thanks for the information.
Since you're a citizen and have the urgency to travel, I suggest you email them. My father's RRV was shortly granted after I emailed the immi office, explaining that he has the urgency to travel to Australia to reunite with his wife & children.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since you're a citizen and have the urgency to travel, I suggest you email them. My father's RRV was shortly granted after I emailed the immi office, explaining that he has the urgency to travel to Australia to reunite with his wife & children.
Hey thank you for letting me know. Do you by any chance have the immi email address? I could only find forms in the website. There are several specific kind of forms and none of them actually has general fomrs that I can fill. If you have the email or which form to fill please kindly let me know thankyou!

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
One other option, if all else fails, is to apply for a visitor visa, and sort out an RRV once onshore. Not simple, but a possibility that some have done, depending on an individuals situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a permanent resident of Australia since 1976. Unable to return to Australia during the lockdown.
My RRV expired in April 2021, found out at the airport in December when trying to fly back to Australia.
Submitted a new request for the return visa to Australia on 16 December, but haven't had any message from immigration aside from the automatic reply acknowledging the application and the payment.
Has anyone else had experience with getting the RRV while offshore?
Not sure if I should engage an immigration lawyer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi... Just wondering if any of you have been granted the RRV yet?

Ast88 did you email the immigration? Did it help make it faster?

My application was 3 months ago, till now i havent heard from them. Is there any other way to make it faster because i need to be in Syd by mid june.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi... Just wondering if any of you have been granted the RRV yet?

Ast88 did you email the immigration? Did it help make it faster?

My application was 3 months ago, till now i havent heard from them. Is there any other way to make it faster because i need to be in Syd by mid june.

Thank you
Hello, yes my husband was granted 2 days after I emailed the immigration. It works like magic. Make sure to include your flight bookings in the email, I think it helps a lot. My husband lodged the RRV for his parents on the exact same time as him in December, and still no news until now. So, I think emailing them helps a lot especially when you have your flight bookings etc. I hope your RRV will be granted soon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow.. Congratulation ast88. Thank you for the input. I definately will try to email them. May i know what else do you include in the email? Do you have to give compelling reason? So how long was it for your husband to get his RRV?
Thank you

1 - 20 of 97 Posts