Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I would like to apply for a RRV 157 visa from either inside or outside Australia soon but I am not sure if my reason for wanting to leave Australia fulfils the "compelling and compassionate circumstances" requirement. Hopefully, someone here can shed some light on this.

I have been living in Australia as a permanent resident for just under a year. The travel facility on my PR visa expired in October 2018.*

I would like to travel to my home country this month (September) and stay there for a short while before returning to Australia.

The reason is that I would like to finalize my affairs at home before returning to Australia to stay here for good (or at least long-term). Predominately, this means vacating the apartment that I am still renting at home and de-registering my place of residence with the local authorities to avoid extra taxes that I am currently paying.

Ideally, I would like to combine my stay abroad with seeing my family (my father celebrates his 79th birthday in a few weeks).

I have no substantial ties to Australia so I would purely have to rely on the "compelling and compassionate" reason to request a RRV that is valid for three months.

I am also wondering how long it takes for the visa to get processed. From what I am reading here, it can take up to six months. If this is the case, I had better apply for the RRV as soon as possible, regardless of my actual departure date.

Any help is much appreciated!

*The reason why I came out to Australia only a month before my PR visa was due to expire was that I was working and studying part-time for a degree when the visa got granted. I then fell ill for 18 months following surgery and when I had recovered enough to attempt moving to Australia, my father became ill and I ended up looking after him.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
You don't apply for a 157 visa. You apply for a Resident Return Visa and if the Department decides that you do not qualify for a 155 visa, they assess you against the 157 criteria.

If you have been living (and working?) in Australia as a PR for almost a year, that sounds like you would have created "substantial ties".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Paul.

I was trying to keep it brief. No substantial ties, I am a so-called "digital nomad" and my current clients are outside of Australia. I have been staying with friends and helping them out but I have no evidence of employment in Australia.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Thank you, Paul.

I was trying to keep it brief. No substantial ties, I am a so-called "digital nomad" and my current clients are outside of Australia. I have been staying with friends and helping them out but I have no evidence of employment in Australia.
Don't like your chances of success.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I realise that my only chance, if I have one at all, is the compelling reason clause.

I came across a website that mentioned "finalising one's affairs" at home (e.g. selling apartment) as a compelling reason. I was hoping that perhaps someone here (agent or client) had some experience with this.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Thank you, Paul.

In which case you may have other things to address in addition to your visa situation, particularly with the ATO. I suspect it would be a good idea for you to get some professional advice on both things. Many applicants do get RRVs with much slimmer ties than you suggest you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.