Australia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!

I would really appreciate your input on this.

I got my Permanent Resident approval in January 2020, and my visa/travel facility is valid until 2025.
I'm guessing that by 2025 I will have spent about 1 year in Australia. My husband (Australian) and I tend to relocate abroad often due to his work.
Last year, when I got my visa, I checked the requirements for getting a new PR visa after 2025, just to be prepared and know exactly what was expected of me, and I seem to recall that you needed to have spent at least 2 years in the country during those 5 PR years to be eligible for a Returning Resident Visa.

I just checked the Home Affairs website, and I don't see this requirement showing anymore for the Returning Resident Visa.

Is the two-year clause still a thing or not? Does anyone know if things have changed recently?

Thank you VERY much!

Birdie

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Hi, everyone!

I would really appreciate your input on this.

I got my Permanent Resident approval in January 2020, and my visa/travel facility is valid until 2025.
I'm guessing that by 2025 I will have spent about 1 year in Australia. My husband (Australian) and I tend to relocate abroad often due to his work.
Last year, when I got my visa, I checked the requirements for getting a new PR visa after 2025, just to be prepared and know exactly what was expected of me, and I seem to recall that you needed to have spent at least 2 years in the country during those 5 PR years to be eligible for a Returning Resident Visa.

I just checked the Home Affairs website, and I don't see this requirement showing anymore for the Returning Resident Visa.

Is the two-year clause still a thing or not? Does anyone know if things have changed recently?

Thank you VERY much!

Birdie
You must either:
* have lived in Australia for 2 years in the last 5 years as the holder of a permanent visa (or permanent entry permit), or as an Australian citizen, in which case you will get a 5-year travel facility

*be in Australia and able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia and not been absent for 5 continuous years since grant of your most recent permanent visa or when you stopped being an Australian citizen (unless you have compelling reasons) in which case you can only be given a maximum 12 months travel facility

etc..

If the requirements for subclass 155 RRV are not met, and the applicant is eligible for a subclass 157 RRV, the maximum travel facility that can be granted with a subclass 157 RRV is 3 months.

Reactions: Michael and Birdy
1 - 3 of 3 Posts