Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what rights migrants are not entitled to in Australia, apart from social security benefits. I guess university fees are much higher. What else is different for a migrant compared to a citizen?

·
Registered
88 Posts
It depends what kind of migrant you are talking about. Permanent vs Temporary, students vs working professional. Sponsored vs Self Nominated, humanitarian etc. There are all sorts of migrants and they can apply for all sorts of visas. They have different working rights, obligations and restrictions. Some more than others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends what kind of migrant you are talking about. Permanent vs Temporary, students vs working professional. Sponsored vs Self Nominated, humanitarian etc. There are all sorts of migrants and they can apply for all sorts of visas. They have different working rights, obligations and restrictions. Some more than others.
I'm referring to a Temporary Partner visa which will then become permanent. Thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
Australia is a fair and equal society. Unlike other countries in Australia if you are a permanent migrant you have exactly the same rights as citizen, pay same taxes and have same benefits (cheaper uni fees etc). Exception voting rights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Australia is a fair and equal society. Unlike other countries in Australia if you are a permanent migrant you have exactly the same rights as citizen, pay same taxes and have same benefits (cheaper uni fees etc). Exception voting rights.
Thank you. And in the first 2 years, in the case of a Partner visa which is temporary for the first 2 years? thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
You are entitled to Medicare and some help from Centerlink. You also have 510 free English language school hours to use. You can study, you can work and your fees are no different than permanent residents or citizens. As a spouse visa holder you are not entitled to HECS or financial help when you are unemployed.

As for obligations... obey law and be part of local society. Be tolerant and promote tolerance. What else can you expect to have among your obligations?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are entitled to Medicare and some help from Centerlink. You also have 510 free English language school hours to use. You can study, you can work and your fees are no different than permanent residents or citizens. As a spouse visa holder you are not entitled to HECS or financial help when you are unemployed.

As for obligations... obey law and be part of local society. Be tolerant and promote tolerance. What else can you expect to have among your obligations?
Thank you Dexter. That was more or less the information I was after.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Migrant Rights

I am wondering what rights migrants are not entitled to in Australia, apart from social security benefits. I guess university fees are much higher. What else is different for a migrant compared to a citizen?
Hi Kirsty

You are right about paying higher fees for Uni & Tafe education,
however in alot cases migrants have more rights than citizens?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.