Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking to hear about your experiences with RMAs and what it cost you/how fees were charged.
We are at the very beginning of our quest for obtaining visa 189. Following my research we should have good chances but an initial consult of an RMA said we would only be able to go to Australia if we found work there, which surprised me a bit.
I asked how to go forward from there and all I was told is that to find out why, we have to pay a fee of 300AUS$, I assume for a one time skype consultation.

Is this normal? I would have liked to hear a little more detail about the fee structure and how the process works.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Fairly normal.

MARA registered agents are great. Especially if you don't have a simple case.

The simpler the case/less life changing then the less inclined I would be to use an agent.

For my two working holidays I applied myself, for the 457 my company used an agent, for my 820/801 I paid for the same agent, I don't regret it at all.

The process for me was multiple phone calls and emails and a USB stick posted, I've never met my agent in person. Clarification on eligibility, signing their legal documents to engage them, then filling out personal info forms.

Dependant on the visa applied for will vary the information they require.

In theory the beauty of using an agent is they will spot and fix any errors and or misconceptions that you make or have (in reality some are better then others). Just ensure they are MARA registered, there are a few here that are held in high regulars if you want a list.

Edit* for clarity I mean any major mistakes to do with the immigration process process or from the info that you provide that doesn't make sense/add up. If you give them the wrong graduation year they won't fix that for instance as they wouldn't know any different.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
When I say fairly normal I was responding to the paying a fee of around that amount for a consult - I've just seen the bit where you mention needing an sponsor. 189 is an indipendant visa, so I am intrigued as to why you would need to find work. Unless your occupation isn't on the medium to long term list so you need to apply for a different visa - that could be what the agent is hinting to?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I wonder if something was lost in translation or if wires were crossed somewhere?

Sc. 189 is a skilled independent visa and does not require you to have a job in Australia.

Sc. 187 is an employer sponsored visa, which does require an employer to sponsor you.

Most agents will charge an initial consultation fee to assess which visas you may be eligible for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be trying for a skills assessment as a psychologist and my partner probably for one as agricultural scientist. It was my understanding that these are eligible for 189. I had made it clear to the RMA that we wanted to get a 189.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I would be trying for a skills assessment as a psychologist and my partner probably for one as agricultural scientist. It was my understanding that these are eligible for 189. I had made it clear to the RMA that we wanted to get a 189.
I don't have the skills lists in front of me, but I trust you did some initial research.

Did you get this advice in writing?

The first thing you may want to do is look into skills assessments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, all communication is via email with the RMA. I have done some research on skills assessments for both me and my partner. The thing with the psych skill assessment is that it's hard to tell whether I would get a positive outcome or not but I do have the required 6 years of academic study in full-time psych by July (at which time I would attempt the assessment). Even if my partner did not get a positive skills assessment I would expect to claim 65 points on the points test, hence my assumption that it's reasonable to go after 189 (or even 190).

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I can’t comment on what someone else may have said without seeing the advice, but there definitely is no requirement to have a job in Australia for a sc. 189 visa. For the sc. 190 visa there are additional requirements, which vary from state to state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clarify; the RMA suggested based on our information we would not be able to attain 189. Instead, we would need to find an employer willing to sponsor us.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
To clarify; the RMA suggested based on our information we would not be able to attain 189. Instead, we would need to find an employer willing to sponsor us.
Ok, that sounds more plausible.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.