Australia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The RMA whose services I paid for and who lodged a visa on behalf of my partner last year has not responded to my emails for months. I sent a follow up recently, and have received no response. Based on this behaviour, I am concerned about the possibility of them neglecting to promptly inform me of any communication initiated by the DHA. At this point, I am seriously considering terminating our agreement, but as they are uncontactable by phone or email, I am unsure of how to proceed. This is a very reputable agent based in Australia. Is this grounds for an OMARA complaint? Any advice would be very helpful.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Have you checked they are still on the MARA register and that their contact details are unchanged on the MARA website?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Paul, thanks for replying. I just searched and their name came up under 'former agents'. They were registered when we engaged their services and the last correspondence I had with them was early this year. Shouldn't they be obligated to notify clients of such a change in circumstance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are, however, a legal practitioner, so I understand that due to recent changes in the Migration Act, no longer need to be OMARA registered to provide migration advice.

·
Registered
891 Posts
They are, however, a legal practitioner, so I understand that due to recent changes in the Migration Act, no longer need to be OMARA registered to provide migration advice.
Correct ... so you’d need to check they are still practicing as a lawyer and take it up with the law society/institute in the relevant state. Dual registration of lawyers/RMAs has ended and OMARA no longer has jurisdiction over lawyers (good or bad).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts