·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Below is my current situation,

1) NZ Citizen and
2) Australia PR holder and RRV expiring Apr 2019

I would like to seek opinions - I don't plan to move to Australia now but only 5 years later when my children are attending University. Do I have any options to re-activate my PR 5 years later? i.e I found a job in Australia and re-apply for RRV then. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
That will rather depend on what the law says in 5 years time. Based on current rules, the more ties you maintain to Australia, the more likely they are to grant an RRV if you don’t meet the 2 year residence requirement. You would do well to keep your ties and RRV current in the interim if you can.

Reactions: gti

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That will rather depend on what the law says in 5 years time. Based on current rules, the more ties you maintain to Australia, the more likely they are to grant an RRV if you don't meet the 2 year residence requirement. You would do well to keep your ties and RRV current in the interim if you can.
Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, when I got my grant back in 2014, I have already been in NZ for 3.5 years(since 2010). As I am happily working and living in NZ with the family, i don't have good reasons to move to Oz...yet. The adolescence are refusing to move due to the friends at school. However, I think Oz is a much competitive world and it will be really good for the kids to study Uni and work there. So short answer I don't have any ties with Oz now... I can only find a job in Oz once we have moved there tentatively 5 years later. I am also concern that I can't use any temporary visa to enter Oz, otherwise my PR visa will be overwritten and gone :S

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I am also concern that I can't use any temporary visa to enter Oz, otherwise my PR visa will be overwritten and gone :S
That is an urban myth in these parts. If your Visa expires when you are offshore you are no longer a permanent resident, you become a former permanent resident. Former PRs are able to get RRVs, even if they have entered Australia as a temporary visa holder in the interim. The exact details depend on your exact circumstances.

Reactions: gti

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is an urban myth in these parts. If your Visa expires when you are offshore you are no longer a permanent resident, you become a former permanent resident. Former PRs are able to get RRVs, even if they have entered Australia as a temporary visa holder in the interim. The exact details depend on your exact circumstances.
Thanks for the clarification Paul.Will have to let it go for now...:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.