Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Guys!
I have been in Australia since January 2004. I am a permanent resident. I moved here with my mum, dad and two brothers as a teenager. I have always lived in Australia. I have only left the country for holidays and it has only every been 3 weeks at a time. In 2007 I was charged with assault as I took the 'charge' for someone else. Please no judgement here, I did not want to give the person up because I was scared what the consequences would be for myself. In 2010 I applied for my RRV as my one from moving here in 2004 had expired. I was granted the visa straight away. No questions asked. No questions about my 'criminal record'. I have never been to jail. I have no other convictions other than what happened in 2007. Fast forward... I married my husband last year February 2016. We have three children. I have applied for my RRV as we have a holiday booked and I applied online, they asked if I had any convictions, I was honest and said yes. I did mention this happened 10 years ago. They have since asked for me to provide a AFP check (Australian Federal Police) Check, which is understandable. I have applied for the AFP check, but it could take up to 15+ business days and then only once I receive the check I need to submit to Immigration and then they will process my RRV. I have no problems with this taking some time, but we are due to fly out on our family holiday in less than 2 weeks and with the AFP check potentially taking 15+ days our holiday might not happen. Is there anything I can do in this situation?

I am also now worried that I will not be granted my visa as I am aware the laws have changed etc and I respect that, but given that I am married to an Australian, we have a mortgage here and three kids surely that will work in my favour? I am so lost as to what I should do now.

Please any advice will be helpful.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Because you applied for your RRV in Australia, the Department can grant it whether you are in Australia or overseas.

However, it might take a while to grant your RRV, as these character issues are taking forever at moment. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because you applied for your RRV in Australia, the Department can grant it whether you are in Australia or overseas.

However, it might take a while to grant your RRV, as these character issues are taking forever at moment. Good Luck
Hi Jeremy,
Thank you for your reply to my post. I'm just going to have to accept that we won't be going on our holiday. It's only a ten day holiday so if I left Australia and still no RRV after the ten days then I won't be allowed back in so I don't think I will risk it. I need to think of my kaids too. Such a shame as we had been looking forward to this holiday all year. Oh well! It could be worse I guess. Have a Merry Christmas Jeremy. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.