Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am an Australian Permanent Resident.
My wife and my son came to Australia on Tourist Visa.
I applied for their Permanent Residency 2 months back.
They got bridging visa.
My son is 4 years old.
He goes to Kindergarten.
I want to enroll him to prep school next year, 2018
Prep schools tell that my son will be considered as an international student. And Prep school fees for international student is AUD 269/week, which I cant afford to pay.
Is there any way to speed up PR application process of my son?
Because Permanent Resident students have to pay very less fees.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Damns123,

I am thinking to write and upload a cover letter for the PR application.
I will explain the scenario in the cover letter.
Will it help?
What do you say.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
No way, they came as visitors not students. There were other ways you could have applied for them to have better visas, to be in Australia and possible have access to education - that choice was not taken instead a Visitor Visa was applied for.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If they do it for you they have to do it for everyone. The system and process is there for a reason, we all have to suffer thru it and pay our way unless there are extenuating circumstances - you wanting to send your child to a prep school and not being able to afford it is not an extenuating circumstance.

Otherwise you will see thousands of people wanting their 820 processed faster and potentially their citizenship processes faster so they can go to uni...

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what I understand a tourist visa has a GTE (genuine temporary entrant) requirement, in that they consider if the applicant wants the tourist visa to visit and only for a visit, and that they will return home.

In this case you applied for your wife and son and once here on a tourist visa then I guess you applied for a partner visa??.. so if you acted as a sponsor for the tourist I wonder how, or why, they thought it would just be a temporary visit for both your wife and son?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also am I right in thinking, correct me if i'm wrong Seniors, that with the new changes in July even if you where to get your PR your son would still be counted as an international student until you obtained citizenship?

·
Registered
917 Posts
From what I understand a tourist visa has a GTE (genuine temporary entrant) requirement, in that they consider if the applicant wants the tourist visa to visit and only for a visit, and that they will return home.

In this case you applied for your wife and son and once here on a tourist visa then I guess you applied for a partner visa??.. so if you acted as a sponsor for the tourist I wonder how, or why, they thought it would just be a temporary visit for both your wife and son?
I think the GTE comes with student visas, not visitor visas.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Genuine-Temporary-Entrant

Many people apply for partner visas from tourist visas :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

Plans change, you only have to fulfil the conditions at the time of application -> entry. After that if your plans change there is no problem making the change. Yes the system is open to being rorted this way, but for the same point many genuine entrants also come this way. If they didn't want it to happen they would alter the legislation to prevent it in its entirety.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I was under the impression that was only relevant to tertiary education - interested in a link to anything primary or secondary being affected if it's the case?
My kid is in primary school (public) on an 820 and pays nothing. You're right that it only applies to tertiary education. Also, I thought those new fees didn't go into effect until 1 Jan 2018 (for tertiary).

·
Registered
44 Posts
PAM3 April 17

"genuinely intend only to visit Australia temporarily"
So GTE should and can apply to visitor visas?

I only brought it up because in order to get my friend a visitor visa we had to go to great lengths in order to prove it was temporary and that there was a reason to return home, because without it we would not have been given one. But in the OP it would almost be expected that his wife and son, if visiting, would be sure to try and stay once here.

Surely if someones registered wife and family are overseas there is a family or partner visa that is more appropriate? We see a lot of people waiting for partner visas, so why are they waiting if they can just get a visitor visa and then once here drag it through bridging visas and the rest?

/vent

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
So GTE should and can apply to visitor visas?

I only brought it up because in order to get my friend a visitor visa we had to go to great lengths in order to prove it was temporary and that there was a reason to return home, because without it we would not have been given one. But in the OP it would almost be expected that his wife and son, if visiting, would be sure to try and stay once here.

Surely if someones registered wife and family are overseas there is a family or partner visa that is more appropriate? We see a lot of people waiting for partner visas, so why are they waiting if they can just get a visitor visa and then once here drag it through bridging visas and the rest?

/vent
They have to meet the stipulated requirements of the visa in order to be granted it. If you answer "I want this visa so I can subsequently apply for another one" they won't grant it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.