Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking Advice :)

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tianbi 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm an Australian Citizen that moved to the US 4 years ago to be with my American husband. Sadly I miss my family back home, and so we're planning to move back to Queensland next year (hopefully).

My question is in regards to my sponsorship of my husband. I haven't worked since I left Australia 4 years ago. Can we lodge his application from here when I (as sponsor) have no employment/residing address in Australia as of yet? Would it be advisable for myself and our daughter to return to Australia first, secure a home and gain employment before applying for his visa? I obviously don't want our application to be denied because I have no income (even though I will be seeking employment when we return).

Also, once his visa is approved, how long does he have before he must enter Australia?

Thank you for your help! :)

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Tianbi,

I know how you feel about missing Queensland. I'm a Queenslander who has been overseas for the last 6 years on and off, and it's been really getting to me lately. I plan to make the move back to Oz with my husband in a couple of years.

Anyway, I think you not having had a job for the last 4 years isn't the end of the world. As you said, you can go to Oz first and set up everything first. In fact, a lot of couples do it this way and immigration won't judge you badly because of it i.e. you're jumping the gun or trying to rush things along. If you apply while you are in the States, then you have to include in your stat.dec information about what you intend to do for accommodation and finances once in Oz.

I saw an Aussie lady on another forum who sponsored her husband but had been unemployed for a few years beforehand. In her case, they seemed to be looking at her husband's financial records as proof of the ability to support themselves while in Australia. Immigration will certainly take into account your husband's employment, and any that you may have had in the past as well as an indication of earning potential.

If they do ask for an AoS, you can get up to 3 people to give a joint one in support of your husband. The sponsor does not have to be the assurer either. Immigration looks for funds in the amount of around $25 000 (based on the current yearly amount for Newstart allowance), plus possibly a $5000 security deposit. This increases if dependents are added to the application. Here is the link to the DIAC website giving further information about it:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 34. Assurance of Support

I hope this puts your mind at ease :)

#3 ·
As aussiegirl indicates, immigration will look at the bigger picture and in this case your husband's [ it being his application anyway ] employment situation and your joint finances.
There are probably more than a few family return situations similar to your own that go through immigration and they'll not be making life difficult just for the sake of it.

It'll not hurt for you to have an address available, be it relatives or friends or at least have given some thought to it and in the case of your daughter if she does not yet have Aussie citizenship/passport it may make life easier to do that rather than have the hastle of organising a visa for her and then the issue of which visa arises, it not being so simple as you just getting her an ETA or tourist visa if you're showing that you have a move back planned and your husbands visa will show that.
Australian Citizenship - Becoming an Australian Citizen

Another aspect you may want to closely look at re real estate, is whereas we get reports here on how the US market has had its collapses in various regions, Australia's market though having gone a tad quiet and quieter in some areas is in general terms still booming [ I'm sometimes thinking there'll eventually be a bigger bang a bit like in the US], though immigration numbers but shortages of trades people and minerals seem destined to help keep our economy more boom than bust.

But anyway you may want to do a bit of research via sites like www.domain.com.au to see what you'll be up for.
Best wishes for move back and hope it works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.