Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We are moving from San Francisco to Melbourne in around June this year. We're not shipping furniture but are taking clothes, a lot of video games, and kitchen things. I searched and found some company recommendations on here, but the latest thread I could find was 2014 so I wanted to see if anyone had more recent advice.

I'm also interested to hear from anyone who shipped boxes via postal services, or as extra luggage on their flight!

Thank you :)

Reactions: HRose313

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi all,

We are moving from San Francisco to Melbourne in around June this year. We're not shipping furniture but are taking clothes, a lot of video games, and kitchen things. I searched and found some company recommendations on here, but the latest thread I could find was 2014 so I wanted to see if anyone had more recent advice.

I'm also interested to hear from anyone who shipped boxes via postal services, or as extra luggage on their flight!

Thank you :)
We've found some quotes from various freight companies that are as cheap as $425 for a pallet with 48" x 40" x 48" - 120lbs.

Reactions: Ejona

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've found some quotes from various freight companies that are as cheap as $425 for a pallet with 48" x 40" x 48" - 120lbs.
That sounds decent! How did you find the companies? Just googling for "international shipping"? Are the quotes mostly for transport by sea?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That sounds decent! How did you find the companies? Just googling for "international shipping"? Are the quotes mostly for transport by sea?
The cheaper ones are by sea, yes. And a quick google search did the trick. Lots out there, just have to make sure you choose the right one :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are Looking to ship a few boxes and a canoe from Boston to Sydney. But I've been sending myself mad trying to figure out which shipping companies are legit and which ones are scams. I was hoping someone on the forum might have shipped before and had a recommendation on who to use, or who to avoid.
Did you have any luck figuring it out Space_Dog?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not yet! Since buying additional carry-on seems to be the cheapest way to move stuff, we're going to be trying to get everything on the plane. There's only the two of us and we're not taking any furniture so it miiiiiiight be possible. We're still looking into backup plans in case there's stuff we can't fit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Space_Dog. I was just wondering if you moved yet and how it went with taking everything on the plane or if you had anything shipped? I'm thinking I might just ship a few boxes via usps but not sure if there's a better way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not yet! Since buying additional carry-on seems to be the cheapest way to move stuff, we're going to be trying to get everything on the plane. There's only the two of us and we're not taking any furniture so it miiiiiiight be possible. We're still looking into backup plans in case there's stuff we can't fit.
Good to know, thanks for the response. We ended up going with Earth Movers. We are in a fairly remote part of Maine so we Uhaul it to Boston and drop it at a warehouse. They will deliver it right to my sister's house in Forster NSW
We looked into about a dozen companies, the prices for what we have (including a canoe and 2 bikes) ranged from 600-6000. This one is right down the middle. We'll see how it goes.
I'll post again when it all reaches the other side and let you know if it was successful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Space_Dog, we took everything on the plane -- it is possible! We put all valuables/fragile items in our carryon bags and the rest in checked baggage. We had 2 checked bags included with each ticket on Qantas and paid an extra $99 each for 4 additional bags. When we got to the airport in Melbourne we fit all 10 suitcases on 2 trolleys and they all somehow fit in a taxi too. We only really brought clothes and sentimental items as we found this was the cheapest way for us to move.

Reactions: Space_Dog

·
Registered
67 Posts
IN case this is still relevant to anyone, I went ahead and sent sentimental stuff via USPS with tracking. A 14x14x14 box around 10-12 lbs is $100 from here; granted you can get more in a suitcase but I can't see myself handling 5 suitcases a carryon and a back pack myself through customs! International priority is the slowest at 10 days but cheaper than fedex, dhl or ups. Let you know in a week if they all get there. So far theyre tracked right to the border. I gave up on shipping companies due to the expense and went about purging and choosing only those things that meant the most.
Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Space_Dog, we took everything on the plane -- it is possible! We put all valuables/fragile items in our carryon bags and the rest in checked baggage. We had 2 checked bags included with each ticket on Qantas and paid an extra $99 each for 4 additional bags. When we got to the airport in Melbourne we fit all 10 suitcases on 2 trolleys and they all somehow fit in a taxi too. We only really brought clothes and sentimental items as we found this was the cheapest way for us to move.
IN case this is still relevant to anyone, I went ahead and sent sentimental stuff via USPS with tracking. A 14x14x14 box around 10-12 lbs is $100 from here; granted you can get more in a suitcase but I can't see myself handling 5 suitcases a carryon and a back pack myself through customs! International priority is the slowest at 10 days but cheaper than fedex, dhl or ups. Let you know in a week if they all get there. So far theyre tracked right to the border. I gave up on shipping companies due to the expense and went about purging and choosing only those things that meant the most.
Good luck!
SUPER helpful, thanks to you both!

·
Registered
67 Posts
SUPER helpful, thanks to you both!
Thanks for the info. I'm concerned with bringing too many suitcases this time as we are still waiting for the PMV approval, but Im going over on a 90n day eta for a visit; hoping it gets approved while I am there. Wondering if its an issue with border if I bring too much on an ETA??

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure whether that would be a problem or not. Regarding navigating customs with 5 suitcases each, it was actually very straightforward. I just pulled up with my trolley, they had a dog come around and sniff the whole lot, and then I was off. Was very fast and easy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is exactly the kind of info I needed. I will probably go through USPS as well since I really don't have enough stuff to justify the crazy prices these shipping companies charge. But going through Customs in Brisbane to catch a connecting flight to Perth was not fun by myself with just 2 bags, a baby, and a car seat. Needless to say I've missed enough flights for one lifetime lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.