Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any information on shipping less than 1,000 pounds of household goods to the Sydney area? I received a quote today and was told that there is a 1,000 pound minimum, which would cost between $2500-$3000 USD. I only have about 700 pounds of belongings to ship (mostly clothing and personal items).

·
Registered
334 Posts
I too tried to find something similar to ship my stuff from US to Sydney. I found that if you have a container load full of stuff to ship, that is cost effective. Anything less than that basically costs the same as the full container. I ended up taking a few extra bags on my flight to Australia. I took aDelta flight but booked through Virgin, so I got 2 free bags allowance and $150 for each extra bag.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has any information on shipping less than 1,000 pounds of household goods to the Sydney area? I received a quote today and was told that there is a 1,000 pound minimum, which would cost between $2500-$3000 USD. I only have about 700 pounds of belongings to ship (mostly clothing and personal items).
How would you want your items shipped? Sea freight seems to be the most cost-effective. I've seen some companies online accepting LCL (less than container load) shipments.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We are going through Pickfords international who are letting us ship about £800 GBP of good as a part container (I believe we are sharing container space with others) Total cost for this including packing service, collection, shipping, customs in Australia & delivery to Australian address is £1100.

All we are shipping is clothes, toys, family photos etc and some books and that kind of thing - aside from a desk lamp - no furniture.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A desk lamp?

I would assume I would be cheaper to take additional luggage on your flight if a majority of what you want to take is clothes. For that amount you would be better leaving your clothes/toys behind and buying new ones haha.

When I moved from aus to the UK a few years ago I took a decent amount of clothes (winter clothing), photos and some personal items all in a few suitcases. I paid a little additional in luggage but certainly wasn't over £150.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A desk lamp?
Yes - its a bit of a sentimental thing - a rather ugly lamp that has been with us since before we got married - rescued from a thrift shop and repaired etc. We know we could buy a new one but its one of the few household belongings we have agreed we have to keep (silly i know!!)

As for toys - there are certain things our daughter is not prepared to negotiate on!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.