Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 5 years ago I had a court appearance (1), no conviction was recorded, but there was an admission of guilt (2), and a court order - good behaviour bond (3).

So three counts of what might constitute a Disclosable Court Outcome.

I have had no other such interactions with the law, so there are 0 convictions to my name and 0 pending charges, as well as 0 crimes that are significant, based on what was outlined in all the partner visa forms.

So based on what I can logically deduce, they have not asked for anything that relates to this matter (in any form).

So there is a possibility that it might be disclosed. If it is disclosed or if it isn't is besides the point. Since the department of immigration have not asked in any of the forms, anything that relates to this matter, do I need to address it?

I kept everything from that court order (not sure why), so I know how to address the incident in a cover letter, and the Judge, and my lawyer agreed that it was out of character (I do not even have traffic infringements). I wrote a letter of apology to the person that laid out the charges, I received numerous letters of character commendation, and since that moment have not had a single blip in my record, and will never have in the future.

So speaking of the issue is not really a problem for me. But, with regards to this visa, I really wonder if I should be mentioning things that were not asked.

And can anyone really look down on my sponsorship based on information that was never requested?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Supply the information requested of you, answer the questions truthfully.

Ensure that you are not lieing by omission on the phrasing of any questions.

If the question is not asked then you need not answer it.

If the question is asked but your from a different legal system where the words mean slightly different things then I would be inclined to er on the side of caution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll double check all the questions again, to make sure I am not omitting anything.

I am going off the pdf forms, maybe there are even differences in the online forms.

I do know there are proposed changes for sponsorship this year as well, but as of now I think I understand the question to be about convictions or serious offences.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received the AFP today and it's exactly like I said.

The offense was disclosed but it is not what the DHA have asked. I don't think I will mention it in the application, since it is not part of what the DHA consider in their application.

The only thing I think might be relevant is making it very clear that my partner has seen the AFP.

·
Premium Member
6,608 Posts
I would mention it regardless in a brief statement with supporting evidence, even if you don't declare it in the application form.

Reactions: RBG Colours
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.