Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:

Would like to seek your thoughts on this - is it better to enter Australia as single or married? Which is better, if there ever is such, for visa application purposes?

A bit of a quick background. I had an initial consult with an agent and was told i fit the subclass 175 or as a skilled independent migrant.

My dilemma is that I am set to fly and work in the middle east by January 2011 for a 2 year contract. I plan to lodge the application before said date.

After a years time and that is sometime January 2012, I'll return to my home country to marry so that I could bring my future wife to the middle east for another year afterwhich we migrate to Australia.

So i guess, my technical question is - if I lodge my visa application now, it will have to be as a Single status however I have learned recently that I would have to enter Australia with a Single status.

Any comments on this like the best way to proceed?

Thank you so much in advance!

Al

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
It will depend on the actual processing of your initial visa, ie.
You can apply with your single status and if your visa has not been granted by the time you are married you send in advice of your marriage with all the required details to have your wife added as a secondary applicant.
If you have already met your wife to be it may be possible even without marriage for you to show her as a secondary applicant in the application initially but best you consult your agent on that or you could check with Immi on their pre lodgement enquiries if it is a cultural arrangement.
If you apply as a single and your visa gets granted prior to marriage you could then make a visa validation trip to Australia which needs to be done by a date that will be set when the visa is granted and on having done that, when you are married your wife will need to apply for a partner visa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

So indeed there is a way although it will add more loops to the process of migrating right? I mean, will it have a bearing as to 'swiftiness' of my visa applicatoin whether I come in as a single status or with a partner/married?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sir, a follow up question if you may...

Upon visa lodgement(advance apologies here as I am still worrying on ielts and assessment so don't have the fine details figured out yet about visa lodgement), I assume I will have to give my passport. However considering if I am to leave for another country for work and therefor would need my passport - what will I give to DIAC?

TIA!!!

Al

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Read applying sections and you will see its always certified copies of documents and though some embassies/consulates may asvise re sending in your passport at some stage, that is usually close to granting and for a very short time when they will just put a sticker in and return it immediately.
You may even be able to arrange for that in a country where you happen to be or do not bother at all until you travel to Australia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.