Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First off, I apologise if I've done this wrong, I've never used a forum before, but I am in desperate need of help and advice.

I am only eligible for a skilled independent visa subclass 189. However they've just changed the points you need from 60 to 65, and I was already struggling to get 60. I have been trying to get a high enough score on my english test to get 60, with some tutoring from people who know what the test markers want I think I can do it, but that only gives me 60, which apparently is no longer enough.

My question is, does anyone know if I was to get my full electrical licence, would I be eligible to claim the points for having a trade qualification completed in australia?'

I have done my skills assessment as an electrician, which gives me 10 points. I have 30 for being 25 and if I get the highest score on the english test I will have 20 from that. Now I need to do some gap training before I can become fully qualified, but once I complete the gap training, surely that would mean that I have a trade qualification completed in australia? It comes under the qualifications section in the points table and would give me 10 points. The skills assessment also comes under the qualifications section though. Does that mean you only claim one set of points from each section of the points table?

Any help or advice would be so appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

First off, I apologise if I've done this wrong, I've never used a forum before, but I am in desperate need of help and advice.

I am only eligible for a skilled independent visa subclass 189. However they've just changed the points you need from 60 to 65, and I was already struggling to get 60. I have been trying to get a high enough score on my english test to get 60, with some tutoring from people who know what the test markers want I think I can do it, but that only gives me 60, which apparently is no longer enough.

My question is, does anyone know if I was to get my full electrical licence, would I be eligible to claim the points for having a trade qualification completed in australia?'

I have done my skills assessment as an electrician, which gives me 10 points. I have 30 for being 25 and if I get the highest score on the english test I will have 20 from that. Now I need to do some gap training before I can become fully qualified, but once I complete the gap training, surely that would mean that I have a trade qualification completed in australia? It comes under the qualifications section in the points table and would give me 10 points. The skills assessment also comes under the qualifications section though. Does that mean you only claim one set of points from each section of the points table?

Any help or advice would be so appreciated.
are you talking about skilled independent visa (189) because i still see the points as 60 there. See the below list. Can i know where this 65 is mentioned? Do you have link for it?

Eligibility

You must:
have a relevant occupation
have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
meet the points test pass mark of 60 points
be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
have Competent English
be invited by us to apply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
are you talking about skilled independent visa (189) because i still see the points as 60 there. See the below list. Can i know where this 65 is mentioned? Do you have link for it?

Eligibility

You must:
have Competent English
I think what he/she means by 65 points is that recently nobody with 60 points gets an invite due to DIBP:s reduced quota per invitation rounds.

Before non pro rata occupations got invited with only 60 points, but now, not even the non pro 65 pointers get invited. The round that is coming up on 22nd of November there will only be 700 invitations send out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think what he/she means by 65 points is that recently nobody with 60 points gets an invite due to DIBP:s reduced quota per invitation rounds.

Before non pro rata occupations got invited with only 60 points, but now, not even the non pro 65 pointers get invited. The round that is coming up on 22nd of November there will only be 700 invitations send out.
Sorry just to clarify you mean to say non professional occupations? How about the professional occupations? is 65-70 points enough to get the invite

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Eligibility

You must:
have Competent English
Hi,

for the subclass 189 visa they changed it on September 23rd, but have failed to update their main webpage for that visa.

border.gov.au/WorkinginAustralia/Pages/04-October-2017-Round-Results.aspx

sorry i'm not allowed to post links yet, but copy paste it with the w's should work.

if you scroll through that link you will find that they have changed it from 60 to 65 points. Needless to say, I was utterly distraught. I can only hope that what I asked about in my original question will work out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry just to clarify you mean to say non professional occupations? How about the professional occupations? is 65-70 points enough to get the invite
You can still have a professional occupation and be under the non pro rata, it's just certain occupations that get a very high volume of applicants that are under pro-rata conditions.

This is from the Skill Select website:

"Due to high levels of demand, and in keeping with previous years, the below occupation groups will be subject to pro rata arrangements to ensure availability of invitations across the program year. SkillSelect first allocates available places to Skilled - Independent visas (subclass 189) and then the remaining to Skilled - Regional (Provisional) visas (subclass 489). If all places are taken up by subclass 189 visas then there will be no invitations issued for subclass 489 visas in these occupations.

• Accountants
  • Auditors, Company Secretaries and Corporate Treasurers
  • Electronics Engineers
  • Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers
  • Other Engineering Professionals
  • ICT Business and System Analysts
  • Software and Applications Programmers
  • Computer Network Professionals."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.