Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

An Indian cousin is seeking a 189 visa. He has lots of points but unexpectedly received a rejection on his skills assessment from AACA (architects board in Canberra). His degrees are genuine and reputable and he has nearly a decade of work history.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile having a skills assessment done for a lower level (but obviously related) occupation like landscape architect or building project manager. These are two examples of occupations that are assessed by Vetassess ...and I suspect they are much less cliquey than AACA.

I would like to hear anybody's thoughts or experiences along these lines

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
A refusal from AACA should not be unexpected.

Your cousin could easily waste more time and money by applying to VETASSESS if he cannot satisfy their stringent assessment criteria.

For Landscape Architect the criteria are:

A Landscape Architect plans and designs land areas for projects such as open space networks, parks, schools, institutions, roads, external areas for all building types, land subdivisions, and commercial, industrial and residential sites (ANZSCO). A highly relevant field of study is Landscape Architecture, which is the study of planning, designing and installing exterior environments with concern for functionality, practicality and human needs and requirements. It includes the design of parks and gardens integrated with the built environment (ASCED). Degrees in Architectural Studies without a major in Landscape Architecture will not be assessed positively, unless the applicant has official registration as a Landscape Architect. This occupation requires an applicant to undertake full time highly relevant employment as a Landscape Architect. Registration as a Landscape Architect will be highly regarded.

May I suggest that your cousin consult a registered migration agent for advice about developing a visa strategy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Westly

My cousin did apply through a registered agent in India. The problem was that the agent is useless - no help with completing the paperwork, no examples of successful and unsuccessful applications, no value-add whatsoever. All the agent wanted was money in exchange for giving false hope.

Seeing how cliquey the AACA is that's why I thought it would be beneficial for my cousin to have a skills assessment done for a related but less onerous occupation. He is currently working as a construction project manager - that job title in Australia does not require a 5 year degree. In fact, a diploma is probably sufficient.

Does Vetassess examine work experience as well as course outlines?

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
I had several architects successfully apply through AACA. It is not that hard IF you have the correct qualifications. In one case, as a backup, we also applied for Architectural Draughtsman through VETASSES, which was fairly straightforward. Your starting point should be the actual proposed position and a detailed job description.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
Does Vetassess examine work experience as well as course outlines?
Yes they do. They will deduct 1 year of post qualification work experience .

From VETASSESS

Construction Project Manager:
A*highly*relevant*field*of*study*is*Construction*Project*Management,*which*is*the*studyof*planning*and*controlling*building*projects*(ASCED).*General*management*degreeswithout*underpinning*or*related*studies*in*construction/civil*engineering*or*buildingwould*not*usually*be*positively*assessed*for*this*occupation.*Qualifications*in
Architectural*Studies*with*supporting*highly*relevant*employment*will*be*considered*ona*case-by-case*basis.

It would probably be a good idea for you to consut one of the registered migration agents who posts on this forum for advice about whether a viable visa strategy can be developed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had several architects successfully apply through AACA. It is not that hard IF you have the correct qualifications. In one case, as a backup, we also applied for Architectural Draughtsman through VETASSES, which was fairly straightforward. Your starting point should be the actual proposed position and a detailed job description.
I have a couple of questions regarding my degree.

1.I completed my 5 year bachelors degree in architecture which includes 1 year of professional training. As this professional training will not be considered by the AACA, will be course be considered as a 4 year degree??

2.I completed my master's in urban design from university of Melbourne.Is it possible to submit the master's subjects as well for assessment as they could compensate for the 2 semester of practical training i went through during by bachelor's degree?

Getting answers to these questions would be of great help to me.
Thankyou :)

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
I have a couple of questions regarding my degree.

1.I completed my 5 year bachelors degree in architecture which includes 1 year of professional training. As this professional training will not be considered by the AACA, will be course be considered as a 4 year degree??

2.I completed my master's in urban design from university of Melbourne.Is it possible to submit the master's subjects as well for assessment as they could compensate for the 2 semester of practical training i went through during by bachelor's degree?

Getting answers to these questions would be of great help to me.
Thankyou :)
Sorry, but I cannot provide that sort of detailed and specific advice for free on a public forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AACA Assessment for BArch (India- Anna University)

Dear Support,

I am a B Arch graduate (Anna University, India) with 1 Year experience in United Arab Emirates. My husband already have positive skill assessment from ACS (for 263111- Computer Network and System Engineer) and he would like to claim 5 points for spouse qualification. Can 263111 guy claim 5 points for spouse's 232111 positive assessment?

I have referred many forums but i am recieving mixed responses. Some say there is high chance that my B Arch qualification will get rejected as it is from India and some say Indian architects normally get positive skill assessment ( I am planning to to do assessment for 232111-Architect position). What is true?

Your response would be highly apprecaited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spouse Point

I am planning to claim spouse point for Australian migration. I already have positive assessment from ACS with 3 years of experience which is eligible for migration. I have PTE score of 65+ in each sections. My profession is Computer Network and Systems Engineer (263111) and i want to claim 5 point for my wife's skills who is BArch gradulate from Anna Univeristy, Chennai (India)

Name : Mohamed Shabeer
ACS : Yes (Till Aug 2018)
PTE : 65+ in all sections

Current score for 189 visa - 60 Points
Current score for 190 visa - 65 points

Can i (263111-Network and System Engineer) claim 5 point for my wifes skill (312111-Architectural draftsman)? One of the consultants told me that she can't contribute to me if i am the primary applicant as 312111-Architectural draftsman cant contribute to 263111-Network and System Engineer Is that true?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.