Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My application has been picked up by immigration and they are requesting a skills assessment (not compulsory). I have been with my employer (government agency) for 1 year and I have been nominated by them. I have been previously working for another company (management consultancy) for 2 years doing a similar role. I have 3 years experience in this role in Australia and 7+ years experience in a similar role in the UK.*

My question is whether I need to carry out a skills assessment with a governing body such as VETASSESS if I have been sponsored and nominated by employers that have already assessed my skillset as part of employing me? Given my experience, if I don't do the skills assessment will it make my application weaker?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
Hi Wonderwoman -

Normally DHA (formerly DIBP) does not "request" a skills assessment unless the case officer believes that based on the evidence you are not sufficiently skilled in your occupation. In most cases, refusal to provide a skills assessment when asked results in a refusal given the above. Assessment of your skills by an employer does not replace or remove any DHA request/requirement for a skills assessment. You may want to have the letter sent by DHA reviewed by a migration agent familiar with employer sponsored visas to determine best options. For instance, for the 457 visa, it is mandatory per DHA policy that applicants for occupation Program and Project Administrator provide skills assessments. In other cases, if DHA is unconvinced by previous employment references (especially overseas) that an applicant is sufficiently skilled, it will trigger a request for a skills assessment.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.