1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and surely will have many more questions as
I'm in the process of moving to Australia soon, but have
no specific date yet and not even decided on where to
live (independent, single, will need to work but very flexible)

I agree with some postings, that Melbourne and surroundings
is a very livable area.....but very expensive, too. And housing
seem to be a shortage.

I wonder about Darvin! Anything wrong with Darvin ???? Is it
not livable?? :(Not even the Australian government site "living
in Australia" lists Darvin.....but all the other major cities.::confused:
Would be interested to get some comments on life in Darvin.

Looking forward to your comments,:)
/D M

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and surely will have many more questions as
I'm in the process of moving to Australia soon, but have
no specific date yet and not even decided on where to
live (independent, single, will need to work but very flexible)

I agree with some postings, that Melbourne and surroundings
is a very livable area.....but very expensive, too. And housing
seem to be a shortage.

I wonder about Darvin! Anything wrong with Darvin ???? Is it
not livable?? :(Not even the Australian government site "living
in Australia" lists Darvin.....but all the other major cities.::confused:
Would be interested to get some comments on life in Darvin.

Looking forward to your comments,:)
/D M
Darwin is the world's largest un-fenced loony bin . If the heat & humidity don't drive you mad..the flies surely will :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting

Darwin is the world's largest un-fenced loony bin . If the heat & humidity don't drive you mad..the flies surely will :D
Thks, certainly an interesting comment !
The heat and humidity are not my problem - but the flies would be - and the "loonies" could be !
Maybe you could elaborate on this??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Darwin

I wouldn't want to put you off visiting Darwin honestly, and I'm not really qualified to comment on the place as I haven't been there since I was a kid. The reason it's a crazy place... is a result of the heat and humidity, with lots of beer drinking to counter these effects. If you can cope with that sort of environment, I suggest you check it out. I live in Adelaide, South Australia which has pretty extreme Summers .... and mild Winters (compared to say North America) You may want to check out the Northern Territory's Tourism website for better info.

Cheers ;)
Andy

Thks, certainly an interesting comment !
The heat and humidity are not my problem - but the flies would be - and the "loonies" could be !
Maybe you could elaborate on this??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome Dr Undies..

Its really nice to see that you are planning to settle in Australia. Where do you live currently? and what are your plans for coming Australia?

Between see you around..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome

Thank for the welcome to the forum. One small detail though. I've lived in Australia for 45 years as a PR and have also recently had my Citizenship approved, and am just waiting for the official ceremony with the pledge.

Cheers
Andy :)

Welcome Dr Undies..

Its really nice to see that you are planning to settle in Australia. Where do you live currently? and what are your plans for coming Australia?

Between see you around..

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am also new to thisd forum..registered to this as i have just submitted my papers under the contributory Parent visa category..have my son in melbourne and hope to be there soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good luck

Good luck and may they process it in a speedy manner...it's heartbreaking being separated from our loved ones by Government bureaucracy.

Cheers
Andy

i am also new to thisd forum..registered to this as i have just submitted my papers under the contributory Parent visa category..have my son in melbourne and hope to be there soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DARWIN - Hot and humid blues.....

I wouldn't want to put you off visiting Darwin honestly, and I'm not really qualified to comment on the place as I haven't been there since I was a kid. The reason it's a crazy place... is a result of the heat and humidity, with lots of beer drinking to counter these effects. If you can cope with that sort of environment, I suggest you check it out. I live in Adelaide, South Australia which has pretty extreme Summers .... and mild Winters (compared to say North America) You may want to check out the Northern Territory's Tourism website for better info.

Cheers ;)
Andy
thanks, understand and can picture it.........
the tourism websites are nott really of interest, when you want to settle anywhere..as accdg to the tourism ministries all places are simply wonderful ! Its a very one sided view.....but great for tourists !
Adelaide has been highly recommended to me......I've been there only once ..30 years ago .....and it seemed very sleepy (to use a polite description). I'm sure it has changed by now.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Darwin, Depi is a long way from the rest of Australias developed areas though I think there would be many Darwinians who would think calling it an unfenced looney bin is a bit uncalled for.
It may not get too much of a mention but is btw included - Northern Territory
Perth btw is the worlds most isolated Capital City.

Many Darwinians do like a drink, just as many in all parts of Australia like a drink and perhaps it is the warmer weather that has more liking and associated problems.
I have only visited on occasion and though still relatively small as far as cities go, it is developing and I know of people who would not want to live anywhere else.
If you can cope with humid weather, you'll rarely feel cold and cyclones are not too common but if you like life at a beach, Darwin and the top end are not the place for though Crocs are relatively well controlled, there's other nasties in the tropical waters that can give painful if not lethal stings.
Adelaide has not changed too much in the past 30 years, certainly not as much as other Capitals and even Darwin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.