Australia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My husband (Australian) and I (South African) want to apply for our 309 partner visa.
We got married in South Africa in November 2020, and we are currently in Vietnam.

When we got married we received a handwritten marriage certificate and tried to get the unabridged certificate before we left for Vietnam, but due to COVID, SA Home Affairs was slow and suspended some services.

Our marriage celebrant told us that we are able to use the certificate we received on the day, but I read that the unabridged certificate is what is needed for overseas use.

Can anyone tell me if they have applied for the partner visa using the handwritten/abridged certificate and if this was accepted?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,
My husband (Australian) and I (South African) want to apply for our 309 partner visa.
We got married in South Africa in November 2020, and we are currently in Vietnam.

When we got married we received a handwritten marriage certificate and tried to get the unabridged certificate before we left for Vietnam, but due to COVID, SA Home Affairs was slow and suspended some services.

Our marriage celebrant told us that we are able to use the certificate we received on the day, but I read that the unabridged certificate is what is needed for overseas use.

Can anyone tell me if they have applied for the partner visa using the handwritten/abridged certificate and if this was accepted?

Thanks so much!
You will need the registered marraige certificate, that has both of your personal details on it. This shows that your marriage is registered.

I think I saw it on immi that you need the official marriage registration document and not the commemorative or decorative certificate that you sign on the day, which I am guessing is the handwritten one you are referring? I dont think it would be accepted.

Is there a way you can get your registered marraige certificate?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need the registered marraige certificate, that has both of your personal details on it. This shows that your marriage is registered.

I think I saw it on immi that you need the official marriage registration document and not the commemorative or decorative certificate that you sign on the day, which I am guessing is the handwritten one you are referring? I dont think it would be accepted.

Is there a way you can get your registered marraige certificate?
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, that is the document I am referring to.
I have reached out to our celebrant that is back in South Africa if he is able to help us find out if DHA South Africa has registered our marriage. We were there in January before we left for Vietnam and they said they were unable to assist due to covid and suspended services and staff.

I have contacted a few companies that are able to get the unabridged certificate done for us, but they are incredibly expensive and so I was just wanting to make sure before we pay all that money if it is really needed or if there is another way.

Thank you so much again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, that is the document I am referring to.
I have reached out to our celebrant that is back in South Africa if he is able to help us find out if DHA South Africa has registered our marriage. We were there in January before we left for Vietnam and they said they were unable to assist due to covid and suspended services and staff.

I have contacted a few companies that are able to get the unabridged certificate done for us, but they are incredibly expensive and so I was just wanting to make sure before we pay all that money if it is really needed or if there is another way.

Thank you so much again.
Can you get family in South Africa to get it and send you a scan? Or is there a consulate or embassy in Vietnam

·
Registered
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you get family in South Africa to get it and send you a scan? Or is there a consulate or embassy in Vietnam
Yes, my brother said he is able to assist, so then would a scanned copy be OK? Do you know if it would need to get certified or authenticated/notarised?

There is the SA Embassy in Hanoi, and I will give them a call on Monday, but other South Africans here in Vietnam said they have been waiting months for documents from them and I was hoping there would be a quicker less expensive option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, my brother said he is able to assist, so then would a scanned copy be OK? Do you know if it would need to get certified or authenticated/notarised?

There is the SA Embassy in Hanoi, and I will give them a call on Monday, but other South Africans here in Vietnam said they have been waiting months for documents from them and I was hoping there would be a quicker less expensive option.
If your brother can get a scanned colour copy for you guys, that's all you need. It's an online application so you can upload the scan to your visa. You wont need to get it notarised.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, thank you so much! I see they say I can take it to the embassy or consulate and there is a consulate here in Ho Chi Minh City where I am now, and perhaps I will try this first, as this is easy and inexpensive to do.
I am so grateful for sending this. I never thought to check on this website, as last time I just skimmed through it and did not read through properly,so thank you once again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your brother can get a scanned colour copy for you guys, that's all you need. It's an online application so you can upload the scan to your visa. You wont need to get it notarised.
Amazing, thank you, I will try this, and also see if I can manage here at the consulate.
Thank you so much everyone on here, you have been such great help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We're also from South Africa, applied and granted 309/100 last year.
It's been two years since I applied for our unabridged marriage certificate... still waiting...

However, you (or someone else?) should be able to get an (abridged) marriage certificate on application at Home Affairs - R20 I think. We submitted this as part of our application, no problems or queries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We're also from South Africa, applied and granted 309/100 last year.
It's been two years since I applied for our unabridged marriage certificate... still waiting...

However, you (or someone else?) should be able to get an (abridged) marriage certificate on application at Home Affairs - R20 I think. We submitted this as part of our application, no problems or queries.
Ooh, this is amazing and gives me so much hope! Thank you so so so so much for letting me know about this and congrats on getting a double grant and getting it granted without having to wait for the certificate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts