Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a unique situation for me that I can't seem to find much information on, and calling immigration was not helpful other than "It's case by case".

Long story short I have worked on the USA for a law enforcement agency doing digital forensics with a very specialized skill set. I'm now living in Australia on a permanent visa still doing digital forensics but with a non-LE agency. I want to make my way back into working for another law enforcement agency but it always requires a security clearance which in turn requires citizenship.

I will be at the two year mark soon for my residency with two years left to go for the traditional method of attaining citizenship. However, I came across a special Residence in the citizenship act which specifically talks about activities that benefit Australia including - Employment that requires a security clearance (thus, citizenship) which reduces the residency requirement from four to two years which would make me eligible I would think....

Here is the specific legislation https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2013L01123

I've already been through an interview process with an Australian law enforcement agency and was selected as the top candidate but we were unable to proceed due to the inability to attain the security clearance due to the lack of citizenship.

Does anyone know of how this specific special residency requirement works? I could probably get the agency to support the application but I'm not sure what to tell them they would need to write. Also some of the language on the immigration website makes it sound like you need to be already employed by the agency but that doesn't really make sense since the citizenship is a prerequisite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
For the legislation pay particular attention to schedule a item 1 just before the Olympic stuff.

Also I guess since this may be a very specific case, a recommendation of someone with legal expertise in this area, I would be happy to pay for a consult.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.