Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My wife is from Asia. I am an Australian. We were issued a PMV and now applying for the permanent visa.We are happily married and have no children. Under the changes to sponsors I have disclosed my police record. Im 47 years old and when i was 20 i was in trouble with the law. The charge was damage to property. I was given a 12 month sentence suspended.

I assume from the reading of the Migration Act that this is not a "relevant offence" for purposes of the Migration Act. Whilst my record was 25 years ago(and one im ashamed of) however for the interest of truth ive disclosed it, Im curious if this would preclude me from being a sponsor.

I take from the reading of legislation that a significant criminal history has to be a criminal history of a "relevant offence".

If thats a correct interpretation, am i correct in saying that on those grounds a visa cant be refused and that i have nothing to worry about.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
The same criteria were already applied to the PMV and from what you have written you have nothing to worry about.

They are mainly concerned with domestic violence and sexual offences.

Reactions: philipg

·
Registered
74 Posts
The same criteria were already applied to the PMV and from what you have written you have nothing to worry about.

They are mainly concerned with domestic violence and sexual offences.
That's correct but it will mean the co has to make a decision which his team leader will endorse so may add extra time. Chok dee

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
That's correct but it will mean the co has to make a decision which his team leader will endorse so may add extra time. Chok dee
I'm not up to speed with internal DHA practices, but for an onshore partner visa application, the time factor is not that critical and I can't see this making any significant difference. It is likely to take up to 2 years regardless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Many thanks for the comforting replies. I am not concerned with the length of time for granting, we have been advised it will be 20-25 months. We have fulfilled the conditions of our PMV and are now married and living and working happily. It was just a concern that given i have a record(albeit when i was 20 years old) I wanted to make sure that my reading of the terms relevant offence and significant criminal record was correct. CCMS has eased my mind that mainly it is to protect my wife that I am not and have not been into domestic violence or sexual crimes. Made a silly mistake years ago and I guess you do pay many times over. On this occasion I was easing my mind that I dont have to plead a case or write an explanatory note to DHA.

Thank you also to those who responded and did so without judgement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.