Australia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, all!

I'm an Australian guy who would like to sponsor my South American partner for a Partner Visa. The only issue is I was the sponsor on an application for my ex-GF, who is from Europe. Now, I know it's supposed to be a 5 year wait between applications until you can sponsor again (it's just under 4 for me now), but does that still apply if the first application was withdrawn before a permanent visa was granted (which it was, we cancelled the relationship and all about 9mths ago)?

Bonus Q: the truth is that me and the ex broke up long before we withdrew the application, and I've actually been with my current partner since late 2016. Now, that itself would qualify as a 'compelling circumstance' (you have been with the applicant for more than 2 years), but would that information potentially put my ex - who is still here in Aus on some other visa and trying to stay - or indeed myself in any risk of further repercussions for our 'delay' in withdrawing our previous application after breaking up?

Any assistance here would be very much appreciated. Cheers :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi there, all!

I'm an Australian guy who would like to sponsor my South American partner for a Partner Visa. The only issue is I was the sponsor on an application for my ex-GF, who is from Europe. Now, I know it's supposed to be a 5 year wait between applications until you can sponsor again (it's just under 4 for me now), but does that still apply if the first application was withdrawn before a permanent visa was granted (which it was, we cancelled the relationship and all about 9mths ago)?

Bonus Q: the truth is that me and the ex broke up long before we withdrew the application, and I've actually been with my current partner since late 2016. Now, that itself would qualify as a 'compelling circumstance' (you have been with the applicant for more than 2 years), but would that information potentially put my ex - who is still here in Aus on some other visa and trying to stay - or indeed myself in any risk of further repercussions for our 'delay' in withdrawing our previous application after breaking up?

Any assistance here would be very much appreciated. Cheers :)
Apologies if I have misunderstoof your timeline here, however, I imagine if you have only withdrew your ex's application 9 months ago even though you were no longer in a relationship with them, and in fact, in a relationship with someone else since late 2016, it wont be looked at favourably..

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
If any partner visa was actually granted (300,820,801,309,100) with you as the sponsor, then the sponsorship limitation applies to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, cheers for that. Not looking great for us then, I guess. We do have until Jan on the current Visa, but I suppose we might need to find another avenue... Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Alright, cheers for that. Not looking great for us then, I guess. We do have until Jan on the current Visa, but I suppose we might need to find another avenue... Thanks again.
It is 5 years from the date the previous application was lodged, so make sure to double-check the dates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts