Australia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an aussie living in London with my British husband. We had always planned to move to Australia where my family are in the next year or so. However my Mother's early onset Alzheimer's has deteriorated so quickly that the doctors are saying she does not have long to live. So we need to move quickly.

We have started looking into making a visa application for my husband and the waiting times are between 18 - 20 months? Is this true? Is there any way around this? I don't think my Mum has that long. I'm absolutely shocked and don't know what to do.

Any advice or guidance I would be really grateful.

Caitlin x

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am an aussie living in London with my British husband. We had always planned to move to Australia where my family are in the next year or so. However my Mother's early onset Alzheimer's has deteriorated so quickly that the doctors are saying she does not have long to live. So we need to move quickly.

We have started looking into making a visa application for my husband and the waiting times are between 18 - 20 months? Is this true? Is there any way around this? I don't think my Mum has that long. I'm absolutely shocked and don't know what to do.

Caitlin x
There are two options for the partner visa (not spousal) and they're $7k each. The s.c 309/100 is an offshore application and has a global processing time of 11 - 15 months.The s.c 820/801 is an onshore application and currently has a global processing time of 20 - 24 months.

There isn't a way around the processing times, I'm afraid. Though we've been seeing a lot of 309 and 820 visa's granted as quick as 6 weeks (mine was granted, from Canada, in 36 days) but don't bank on that. "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best" is a saying that gets tossed around here quite often.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

Caitlin x
If you apply onshore, processing times don't matter as much as your partner is granted a bridging visa that allows them to remain onshore until a decision is made on the 820/801 application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts