Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My partner and I are in the process of applying for a spouse visa. We're both from Ireland but my partner has been sponsored in Australia since April last year due to the recession here. At the time, I didnt join him as I felt our daughter was too young to be uprooted across the world, so I gave my partner my blessing to work in Australia while we stayed at home. I now feel my daughter is at the right age (she will be 3 in April). I realise having children makes a big difference while applying for spouse visas, the only problem is, when we lived together in Australia (2009) there was no proof of that, I only have one letter with proof of address and my partner has none. When we came home, because he had to go where the work was, he only stayed with me at weekends and one night during the week, so had a different postal address. I'm really worried due to the lack of evidence of living together and the time spent apart in the last year this will go against us. Any advice would be very much appreciated :confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
If you're married and applying for a spouse visa (and not a defacto visa) it's my understanding that the 12-month living together requirement doesn't apply. You would need to provide evidence that you had good reasons for living separately and apart during the time period you did (and it sounds like you have that).

Wait for someone else who knows more about this to chime in to be certain, but I think your chances are good. Also, how long have you been married? I know if you've been married a certain number of years and have a child together sometimes they'll give you PR straight out instead of having to wait for it... again, wait for someone more knowledgeable on this topic to chime in, though. :)

EDIT: Actually, wait a second - were you included on your partner's original application to go over there as his spouse? Just checking. If you weren't, it might be an issue, as people can't sponsor for partner visas until they have Permanent Residency, and I'm assuming your husband doesn't yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thank you for ur reply. We are not married but have been in a relationship since December 2008. We have a migration agent already. He is definitely able to bring me out on a partner visa as I know of many others who have done this and also because the migration agent would have told us before now. My reason for starting the thread though is just to see if anyone else has had similar circumstances to myself and how difficult/long the process was. Our only real issue is the lack of proof that we lived together and the length of time spent in separate countries. It was a difficult decision to make for him to leave and work in Australia but didn't have any other choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What visa is your partner on? If it's a 457 I'm pretty sure it's quite straight forward to just add you on as his partner! No where near as much detail is needed for that compared to the defacto!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes he is on a 457 visa. I wasn't aware there was a difference difficulty wise but thanks for ur input as this has calmed me down slightly! What exactly is the difference on the visas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank u. Yes I have read this before. The migration agent has advised us on all info we need. I would really just like some advice from someone who has a similar situation to mine. Thanks everyone for ur replies :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still non the wiser

If anybody knows of someone who is/was in a similar position to me could you please get them to contact me. Applying for visa at the end of the week and have serious nerves and doubts :( :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
If anybody knows of someone who is/was in a similar position to me could you please get them to contact me. Applying for visa at the end of the week and have serious nerves and doubts :( :confused:
MissJaime,

If you perhaps had specific questions you might get better help. I haven't seen that many people post here with similar situations to yours, so if you're waiting from a reply from one of them you might not get one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.