Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, i need input on which is the best way to go... Me and my partner (currently in the US)... Are planning to settle here in Australia... I'm an Australian Citizen... Her divorce is currently in place, can i in the meantime start sponsoring her on the above grounds... If not, kindly advise us which is the best way to go... We've been in a long distance relationship for over 3years now... And dont wanna waste time anymore... Please help

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hi fyshtryker

Spouse visa vs PMV

Not 100% sure what you mean. Do you qualify as defacto? If your relationship is by distance then probably not. If you are already married then you can't apply for a PMV.

We didn't apply for a fiance visa to the USA because my husband doesn't want to live in the US and that visa is for people who want to stay in the USA. In our case he came out on a visa waiver and we got married in the USA (we checked that this was OK to do with USA immi first and it is as long as you then leave again). Also this is where all my family are and my husband doesn't have anybody except his brother in Australia. Therefore we wanted to marry in the USA but live in Australia.

You definitely shouldn't get married just for a visa, you should only get married if you wanted to marry as it was in our case. Don't go to Australia and marry on a waiver either as this will make it more difficult, if not impossible to get a Visa there. We left Australia to go to the USA to marry and applied offshore to Washington. Although this means I have to stay offshore until it is granted :( while my husband will have to return to Australia in about 2 and half months so we hope that it is processed ASAP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.