Australia Forum banner

Starting a new Partner Visa Application

1603 Views 13 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  ausdigitalmedia
Hi all.
My fiancee and I have been dating for over a year now. I live in Melbourne and she lives in Siem Reap, Cambodia. I have travelled there 3 times now in the last year and she has been to Australia, Melbourne) for 10 days during the 2017/2018 holiday period.

We now wish to apply for a Spousal Visa so she can move here and we can start a family. We want to get married. I figured we would kill 2 birds with one stone and apply for the "Prospective Marriage visa"

Honestly, all this is quite overwhelming for me so I'm hoping this forum can help me.

My first questions are..

1. Am I applying for the right visa type? If not which one should I apply for?
2. Should I use an immigration agent? Maybe one based in Cambodia so he/she can be of help to my fiancee who speaks limited English.
3. What paperwork should I start getting ready now whilst I am saving the last of the Visa application money?

Thank you :) Will.
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 14 Posts
1. That sounds like the best option for you.
2. An Australian based RMA would be the only person I would trust on immigration matters to Australia. Someone from another country may be an expert in their own country but likely not in matters of other countries. There's no reason why you can't be the main contact with an RMA as you know just as much about your relationship as she does. They often communicate via email/phone/Skype so doesn't matter where in Australia they are based. There's a sticky above the regular threads with a list of highly recommended ones.
3. If you're planning on hiring an RMA, then they can tell you. Start by having a read through the immigration website and the sublinks located there for an idea.
The way a PMV 300 works:

300 application fee $7000 currently.

After the grant of the visa, she must enter Australia at least once before you marry. You can then marry anywhere in the world as long as it is legally recognized, and then she'll apply for the onshore 820/801 as a 300 holder. Marrying and applying next step needs to be done within the 9 months of the visa grant. The fee for this application is $1170 currently for a 300 holder and will be essentially the same process aa the 300 application but with updated evidences and information as well as the marriage certificate.

A 300 grant allows her to live, work, and study in Australia and can travel in and out as long as the visa is valid. After the 820/801 application, she will also be eligible for Medicare. Work rights will continue but if the 820 is not granted before the 300 ends, she'll be on a bridging visa A (BVA) which does not have a travel facility, so if she ends up on a BVA, she'll need a BVB if she needs to leave Australia. Once the 820 is granted, she'll have travel rights to come and go as she pleases.
See less See more
Thanks for replying.
If I choose to use an agent. What sort of price range should I expect to pay for this service? I ask just so that I can know if I am being quoted to much.
I am not sure what each one charges. I personally always get quotes from at least three sources to verify such things, then make my decision based on reasonable price (not drastically overcharging compared to others) and user reviews.

So maybe just contact a few of them with what you'd like to get from their services and ask for a quote.
I've never heard of an 820 being denied by a 300 holder who followed the visa process. You basically just upload the marriage certificate and proof that your relationship has continued.

A de facto/spouse visa like a straight 820/801 requires far stricter evidence requirements than a 300. Being married does not guarantee this visa. You have to meet the requirements whether you're married or not and time dating does not count.

A quick consult with a reputable RMA and they can look into your relationship and tell you if you'd even qualify for that route or not. If you don't meet the requirements and you apply anyway, you'll be refused.
Just to give you an idea, my partner and I had known each for over a decade when we first applied and he had been flying to see us every 3 months for several weeks at a time. We still wouldn't have qualified as de facto. A work and holiday visa wasn't an option for me to live with him in Oz and build that evidence as I had a dependent. So being engaged, we went the 300 route.
With the Police check should I apply for the electronic one or the paper one? The Australia post form gives me both options. Given that the application is to be lodged through my IMMI portal it should be the electronic one right?
These are only valid for 12 months so you shouldn't be worrying about them just yet. The information is on the visa website on which ones you need.
1 - 7 of 14 Posts
Not open for further replies.