Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a 32 year old Australian man and am looking to sponsor my 28 year old female Canadian partner so she can stay with me in our lovely country. We have been together for over 4 years, we have had a names on joint leases and bank accounts for over 2 years now and I now have my Canadian PR through her so we have all the documentation from that application also at hand.

We are going to do the application our selves starting today, we are both currently living in Brisbane, Natalie is on a tourist visa not working and waiting for the 12 weeks to run out so we can immediately apply for her bridging visa.

I have done some research and it seems we are applying for a an 820 and 801 visa. Now is it me that starts the application online as I am the one sponsoring her?
I started the application online and it is asking me for a

Reference number type

What is this, should I have one already?
Does anyone on here know of a detailed step by step run through of what to do?

Any help on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Christian

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello I am a 32 year old Australian man and am looking to sponsor my 28 year old female Canadian partner so she can stay with me in our lovely country. We have been together for over 4 years, we have had a names on joint leases and bank accounts for over 2 years now and I now have my Canadian PR through her so we have all the documentation from that application also at hand.

We are going to do the application our selves starting today, we are both currently living in Brisbane, Natalie is on a tourist visa not working and waiting for the 12 weeks to run out so we can immediately apply for her bridging visa.

I have done some research and it seems we are applying for a an 820 and 801 visa. Now is it me that starts the application online as I am the one sponsoring her?
I started the application online and it is asking me for a

Reference number type

What is this, should I have one already?
Does anyone on here know of a detailed step by step run through of what to do?

Any help on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Christian
Hi Christian,

Your partner (the applicant Form47SP) must start her application process first. Do it thru immi account. If you have started the Form40SP online, you can save it and get back on there after the applicant has started hers. Read this link carefully , everything is stated there, step by step process https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/801-

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
The link posted above pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

But in response to your post, you cannot do the sponsorship application in immi until the applicant has completed their application, submitted it and paid. Only then can you get through the entire sponsorship application using the reference number of the applicant's application.

Also, the briding visa A (BVA) is automatically applied for and granted once the 820/801 application has been made (submitted and paid). It just won't go into effect until the current visa expires (so in this case, the end of her stay period).

·
Registered
89 Posts
The link posted above pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

But in response to your post, you cannot do the sponsorship application in immi until the applicant has completed their application, submitted it and paid. Only then can you get through the entire sponsorship application using the reference number of the applicant's application.

Also, the briding visa A (BVA) is automatically applied for and granted once the 820/801 application has been made (submitted and paid). It just won't go into effect until the current visa expires (so in this case, the end of her stay period).
Hi Sky, thank you for your post :). I started my 47SP and saved it, at the same time my partner did his. He was given a reference number which wasn't the same as mine but soon after i made the payment and lodged the application, my partner's 40SP had the links to mine with my TRN. The reason we started the 40SP was to see what the contents and requirement of the online form, if its any different from the paper form. Since OP said he's started the online 40SP, thats why i suggested him to save the application and go back to it once the 47SP has been paid and lodged.

Thank you Sky for your help in this forum, myself, and I'm sure many other users appreciate it very much.

:)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Hi Sky, thank you for your post :). I started my 47SP and saved it, at the same time my partner did his. He was given a reference number which wasn't the same as mine but soon after i made the payment and lodged the application, my partner's 40SP had the links to mine with my TRN. The reason we started the 40SP was to see what the contents and requirement of the online form, if its any different from the paper form. Since OP said he's started the online 40SP, thats why i suggested him to save the application and go back to it once the 47SP has been paid and lodged.

Thank you Sky for your help in this forum, myself, and I'm sure many other users appreciate it very much.

:)
I wasn't suggesting he delete the sponsor app. Simply that he can't get through the whole thing without the applicant paying. Nothing wrong with what you posted!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont know enough but it is a worry if "Natalie is on a tourist visa not working and waiting for the 12 weeks to run out," it sounds like less than 12 weeks remaning by now. What happens if her tourist visa runs out before the application is submitted, and what is the real cutoff?

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I dont know enough but it is a worry if "Natalie is on a tourist visa not working and waiting for the 12 weeks to run out," it sounds like less than 12 weeks remaning by now. What happens if her tourist visa runs out before the application is submitted, and what is the real cutoff?
That can be fine- the No Further Stay condition can be a very big problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You don't want to be caught out overstaying your tourist visa, so DO NOT let the time run out. You have to submit (& pay?) your partner application before the toursit visa runs out. The partner application is the thing that triggers the bridging visa, so if you haven't submitted it on time that's a real problem. This assumes of course there is no "no further stay" condition.

Given how little work seemed to have been done to understand the process, it also sounded to me like the timeline might be a challenge but if they have already gone through a similar process for Canadian PR they might have a lot prepared.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Yeah, definitely give yourself at least a 2 week window before the visa runs out (though even I wouldn't wait that long) to give yourself time to handle any issues that may arise. Also keep in mind that depending on how you pay, it may take a few business days to process so that will delay the grant of the bridging visa.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Government sitting days for 2018.

15 to 18 October – Both Chambers sit, Senate 2/3 Cut Off Wednesday, 17 October
19 to 21 October – Non sitting days
22 to 25 October – House of Representatives sits, Senate Supplementary Budget Estimates
26 October – Senate Supplementary Budget Estimates
27 October to 11 November – Non sitting days
12 to 15 November – Senate sits
16 to 25 November – Non sitting days
26 to 29 November – Both Chambers sit, Senate 2/3 Cut Off Thursday, 29 November
30 November to 2 December – Non sitting days
3 to 6 December – Both Chambers sit
7 to 24 December – Non sitting days
25 December – Christmas Day
26 December – Boxing Day holiday
27 to 31 December – Non sitting days

·
Registered
89 Posts
Government sitting days for 2018.

15 to 18 October - Both Chambers sit, Senate 2/3 Cut Off Wednesday, 17 October
19 to 21 October - Non sitting days
22 to 25 October - House of Representatives sits, Senate Supplementary Budget Estimates
26 October - Senate Supplementary Budget Estimates
27 October to 11 November - Non sitting days
12 to 15 November - Senate sits
16 to 25 November - Non sitting days
26 to 29 November - Both Chambers sit, Senate 2/3 Cut Off Thursday, 29 November
30 November to 2 December - Non sitting days
3 to 6 December - Both Chambers sit
7 to 24 December - Non sitting days
25 December - Christmas Day
26 December - Boxing Day holiday
27 to 31 December - Non sitting days
thank for the info :)