Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched through DIAC's site and the States' official webpages, but I could not figure out when the State Migration Plans would be announced.

I will have to obtain a State's sponsorship to be eligible for a visa I am going to apply for. Can I apply for a State's nomination after the ban on acceptance of applications is removed even though new SMPs aren't introduced by that time.

Can anybody help me on this? I will be gratefull if any clarifications will be given.

Thanks

earthman

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I've searched through DIAC's site and the States' official webpages, but I could not figure out when the State Migration Plans would be announced.

I will have to obtain a State's sponsorship to be eligible for a visa I am going to apply for. Can I apply for a State's nomination after the ban on acceptance of applications is removed even though new SMPs aren't introduced by that time.

Can anybody help me on this? I will be gratefull if any clarifications will be given.

Thanks

earthman
If you have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-gsmchanges.pdf you'll see that there was not too specific a date mentioned - mid this year has a certain range to it and that was only for the new SOL.
Though most occupations of State Migration Plans are likely to be on the SOL, they will be separate state lists and no timeframe has actually been mentioned though July01 as start of the new financial year seems to be a popular expectation.
In reality, they cannot be in place until the states submit them to Immi for approval - it being another eight governments involved on top of the feds.
And Immi and the States now also need to rationalise with what does a state migration plan mean as against sponsorship.

They are really two separate approaches and there's no answer to your question until the full release of all applicable changes, whenever that will be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for replies.

It seems that July 1 is the most optimistic date for SMP's to be announced.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
definitely the announcements would be after 1st july
Whereas a list of occupations for the new SOL has been created, it is associated with all the other changes announced on 08February and legislation needs to be passed before all new regulations including the SMPs can be implemented.

Getting legislation drafted, through both houses of parliament and then final stamp of approval by the GG can be a lengthy and at times variable task.

It may even be that each of the states also need to enact new legislation for the SMPs

·
Registered
19 Posts
And Immi and the States now also need to rationalise with what does a state migration plan mean as against sponsorship.

They are really two separate approaches and there's no answer to your question until the full release of all applicable changes, whenever that will be.
@Wanderer. This is still not rational for me to grab, maybe I don't understand this fully but how can State sponsorship and State Migration Plan co-exist?
How did you concluded that both will exist in parallel and what probable difference do you think will be between both?

BTW - By discussions on SMP and the state departments/procedures involved it seems that its implementation will take quite a long time - maybe by the end of this year (just my wild guess) but certainly not 1st July.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dear Guys....
SMP are Occupations that Those state needs in their Territory, So they will Issue Sponsorship to only those Occupations Which is present in SMP..Becoz they are in need of those Occupations which are not present in the new SOL.
So kindly wait for the new SMP and then you can see what re their Targeteed Occupations and Eligibility criteria for those Occupations.
One thing is Sure that They have already Increased IELTS score to 7.5. and 6.5 to all trade Occupations.
SMP is very important to pending applications GSM176 whose Occupations is not in SOL. Becoz this SMP will push your Applications to 2 in the Priority List...:) :( :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey guys!

first thing is that the SMP cannot be announced at the end of the year... thats impossible and inappropriate in the given circumstances. anyways we'l have to wait and see.

secondly its a bit difficult to gather how SMP and sponsorship are two different criterias. as SMP is something which the states are announcing inorder to sponsor applicants eligible for occupations laid down in that particular state. so how can it be two seperate issues?

thirdly its best to be patient until after 1st july to be able to assume anything! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dear Guys....
SMP are Occupations that Those state needs in their Territory, So they will Issue Sponsorship to only those Occupations Which is present in SMP..Becoz they are in need of those Occupations which are not present in the new SOL.
@h4harry. State Migration Plan seems more than a list to me - it will have a list of State specific shortage occupations that are not on new SOL but I guess it will not be just only a list as its State Migration "Plan" not State Migration "List"

sr786 said:
first thing is that the SMP cannot be announced at the end of the year... thats impossible and inappropriate in the given circumstances. anyways we'l have to wait and see.
@sr786. As I wrote earlier - announcement of SMP by the end of year is purely my wild guess based on the what Wanderer mentioned above in post 4 and post 7 as legislation takes time that might not be predictable. We can't be sure of anything yet and like you said we'll have to wait and see...

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
@Wanderer. This is still not rational for me to grab, maybe I don't understand this fully but how can State sponsorship and State Migration Plan co-exist?
How did you concluded that both will exist in parallel and what probable difference do you think will be between both?

BTW - By discussions on SMP and the state departments/procedures involved it seems that its implementation will take quite a long time - maybe by the end of this year (just my wild guess) but certainly not 1st July.
You need to go back to the priority processing statement of 08February and you'll see that there is both SMPs and sponsorsorship.
As I've also stated, that is something the states bureaucrats are no doubt questioning though there has always been an allowance for off list sponsorship.
It has all only been in their court since 08February if not early.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Closing the circle

I posted re the legislation requirement merely to indicate that there will be some variation to timing for parliament does not always work to a timetable, such as given current poliyical stoushing, it is not inconcievable that an early federal election could be called.

The SMPs whilst being state priorities are taking the place of CSL as a priority tool and just like the CSL was a subset of SOL so it is likely for the SMPs.
As I have stated, it could well be that sponsorship is not to be involved for that is an approach that gives a lesser pass mark and that is not what CSL was about.

That being as it is, to save further conjecture, I will now close the thread.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
August is about the best bet for when State Migration Plans may start to emerge, some states indicating that on their sites and others having no news.
Meanwhile we could get news in next week or so of a Federal Election for as soon as August and hopefully that will not cause further delay.
I'll re-open and repost as more information comes to hand.
Alternatively, head to state sites and see what's up.
Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.