Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

I was going to do a masters in the UK before emigrating to Oz in a few years on a PR visa (my skills are on MLTSSL). We only have 60 points right now but thought - why not complete my masters in Oz instead of UK and rack up the points in the meantime. Its expensive yes, but we have savings and my husband could work full time out there if I did the right Masters degree. We have two kids so know we will have to pay school fees but this is much cheaper than private school in the UK.

Anyone had experience of migrating this way? I'd love to move to a regional area to gain even more points but slightly worried on the earning potential for my husband if we did that (he works in senior IT sales).

I know this is risky and not the ideal way to go but we really feel we are desperate to leave the UK right now....

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
There is no certainty that any particular occupation will be on a relevant occupation list years in the future, or that it would be possible to satisfy the mandatory pre-migration skills assessment for general skilled migration. Most (but not all) skills assessments require a period of post-qualification work experience.

There is no shortage of 'education agents' and course providers who will advise otherwise and sign you up for a course of study that leads nowhere except the bank.
It might pay you to consult a registered migration agent for advice about visa strategy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no certainty that any particular occupation will be on a relevant occupation list years in the future, or that it would be possible to satisfy the mandatory pre-migration skills assessment for general skilled migration. Most (but not all) skills assessments require a period of post-qualification work experience.

There is no shortage of 'education agents' and course providers who will advise otherwise and sign you up for a course of study that leads nowhere except the bank.
It might pay you to consult a registered migration agent for advice about visa strategy.
Thanks for your reply!

I already have a 8 years senior level IT work experience in my MLTSSL skill and the masters is not to prove my skill, it is to enhance my knowledge or participate in research in a unique area of IT and leadership. ACS deduct 6 years work experience for having a previous non-IT related BA Hons degree leaving me with 2 years work experience currently to claim points (or more like no points until I reach the 3 year mark).

Are you saying that my 8 years would be discounted completely if I did a masters degree in the same area I already have 8 years work experience? What about the 20 hours per week I can work in my skill whilst studying too? My research shows that as long as you work a minimum of 20 hours per week in your skilled occupation this can also be counted.
So in total: 8 years current work experience as a senior systems analyst + masters degree + 2 years part time work in skilled occupation whilst carrying out masters - all in a regional area?
I've already spoken to a migration agent about this option and they didn't mention that as being an issue at the time! Slightly concerned now that this advice was not accurate!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.