Australia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Currently my partner and I are getting ready to apply for a partner visa subclass 309. We are a bit concerned and worried about applying because we fear getting refused based on the fact that we are young, have little money, on Centrelink benefits, and in uni.

A bit of background on our relationship:

I am 23 and a US citizen (born and raised). My partner is Austalian and 21. I am just finishing up my degree and plan to immigrate after I graduate in June of 2016. I have been to Australia before as a student in 2012 which is when I met my partner. We then were separated when I had to go back to the US for about 6 months. He came to visit me for 3 months in May of 2013, then we came back to Australia together in August of 2013 with me being on a Work-Holiday visa until August of 2014. I spent time with my partner and met his family. They all love me very much and we ended up tying the knot at the end of March in 2014. After I left in August of 2014, he came back to the US to visit me and my mother for two months over Christmas and just left this week to go back to Uni :(

Our concern is that we will be rejected because he is on Centrelink (Student Youth Allowence) and because he is living with his grandparents and doesn't have a place of his own yet. He isn't working due to the fact that he can't hold a job down when he is coming to visit me so much and due to the fact that it is hard to find work at the moment and because he is studying.

We are a bit confused because DIAC says the discretionary Assurance of Support is no longer required for partner visas but in the application form and Partner Migration Booklet it says that the Sponsor must display proof of employment and income to DIAC...

So does the fact that he is on Centrelink mean we have less of a chance of being approved? Do we have to show proof of employment? Also does he need to move out of his grandparents or is DIAC ok if I live there with them? We are using all our savings to pay for this $3500 application so we want to be sure we have a chance and get this done right!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sponsors must satisfy the minister that they can meet their sponsorship undertaking. There are various ways of doing this, depending on the particulars of the case.
Hi, thanks for responding.

So does this mean him being on Centrelink would make him ineligible to take up a sponsorship undertaking? I am still confused as what we need to provide in terms of proving he can undertake the sponsorship since the AoS requirement has been removed.

I mean his Centrelink payments have always been more than enough for him and I to survive on and save up a little. I expect he will get a good job in computer programming once he graduates and I should have good qualifications myself with my engineering/planning background.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,099 Posts
Hi, thanks for responding.

So does this mean him being on Centrelink would make him ineligible to take up a sponsorship undertaking? I am still confused as what we need to provide in terms of proving he can undertake the sponsorship since the AoS requirement has been removed.

I mean his Centrelink payments have always been more than enough for him and I to survive on and save up a little. I expect he will get a good job in computer programming once he graduates and I should have good qualifications myself with my engineering/planning background.

Thanks
There have been a number of people in this group who successfully sponsored a partner while on a Centrelink benfit of some nature.

·
Registered
139 Posts
While it would not affect his visa I would be concerned if he has not notified Centrelink that he is now married. Being married his student allowance would only be possible if your income was included in the estimate....generally married students do not get Centrelink as the partner is now expected to support the student. If he did not notify Centrelink in March last year when you got married he will be in some major trouble and will have to pay back all the benefits he received.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.