Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all,

Hope someone can help me with my questions. A bit about myself:
I am a citizen of Botswana aged 25, with a BSc in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cape Town (December 2009), South Africa. I have been working the past year, 2010, till date. I have just received an offer to study a Masters in Engineering Management at the Griffith University in Australia commencing this July 2011. I have to send them back my acceptance form signed so they can send me the Conformation of Enrollment to apply for the Australian Student visa.

My questions:
For the Graduate Recognized (temporary) Visa (subclass 476), can I still apply for it while doing my masters degree in engineering management at Griffith university in Australia on a Student Visa? The reason I ask this is because it states that one must be a recent graduate of no more than 2 years after graduation to be eligible to apply. If I apply now I can make the requirements as the University of Cape Town is a recognized overseas university and I have my degree certificate, however if I decide to study at Griffith university my graduation date will be in July 2012 and thus over 3 years after graduating from the University of Cape Town. Could you please advise me on this? I was told that I can apply for the Graduate Regonised Visa after getting my student visa and I can do the process in Australia, just needed to confirm this. Also if this is possible can I be present in Australia if my Graduate Recognized Visa is issued?

I have already been working for over a year now within my profession. I would like to know when checking the point system can an INTERNSHIP count as work done towards a Skilled Migration Visa which will provide PR status. I currently have 11 months internship work experience (in the Mineral Processing -7months and Chemicals Celaning Industry-4months) and before I leave to study at Griffith university I would have 5 months official work experience in the Chemicals Cleaning Industry. Thus a total of 1year 4 months work experience. I wanted to be advised on whether after attaining my student visa, and then a graduate recognized visa can I then apply for the skilled migration visa as a Chemical Engineer. My major problem is that in Botswana there are no Chemicl Engineering Councils and thus I cannot attain any sort of recognition from a local authority as a Chemical Engineer. How crucial is this for the Skilled Migration Visa.

Lastly can the Recognised Graduate Visa and the Skilled Migration Visa be lodged simultaneously or do I need to wait for an outcome from one before going to the next one. Also what would you advise someone in my situation.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
You can apply for the 476 at the same time as having a student visa and even apply for the 476 at the same time if you like.
The 476s seem to take quite a while to be granted so the earlier you apply the better and one would not be granted while you are in Australia studying because they are an offshore visa and you need to be offshore to have an offshore visa granted, so you would need to take a short trip abroad to somewhere like New Zealand to allow the 476 to be granted.

Experience only after graduation is what is recognised but if with any you already have and that obtained while on a student visa or the 476 you have the requirement of 12 months experience within the last two years you could apply for a skilled visa but onbviously it is best to only do so when you meet all eligibility criteria.
You would be eligible only for an offshore visa and as with the 476 you can apply for one while onshore but you need to be offshore for one to be granted.

Check out all details via Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration and also have a read of chages that will occur in July this year via the What's New link at top of that page.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info on on Visa Requirements

Thanks a lot for the reply. It was very helpful. :)

Could you advise me on the eligibility requirements for English Proficiency.

1) From what I gathered on the website Toefl iBt is unacceptable. So to write the IELTS do I need to write the academic one or general one for a Graduate Recognized Visa (subclass 476).

2) For my student visa Griffith University accepted my Toefl iBT mark of 99 to give me an offer. So if I do attain a Student Visa for an assessment level 1 Student visa subclass 573 (Botswana citizen pursuing Masters in Engineering Management coursework) do I need to still write the IELTS or can I simply provide proof of my student visa to apply for the Graduate Recognized Visa subclass 476.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.