Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been with my partner for a few years and we are going to go defacto - partner visa. We both live in Sydney.

However I'm on a student visa and it doesn't expire until march 2020. We were hoping to submit the partner visa application mid 2018 (this year) but someone told me I'd still have to continue on my student visa until 2020 anyway?

Is this true? Was hoping I'd just go on a bridging visa and be able to get full working rights.

Can I just not cancel my student visa later this year?

Help!! Very stressed out

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello,

I've been with my partner for a few years and we are going to go defacto - partner visa. We both live in Sydney.

However I'm on a student visa and it doesn't expire until march 2020. We were hoping to submit the partner visa application mid 2018 (this year) but someone told me I'd still have to continue on my student visa until 2020 anyway?

Is this true? Was hoping I'd just go on a bridging visa and be able to get full working rights.

Help!! Very stressed out
Sorry to give you the bad news but you the Bridging visa will take over once your Student Visa expires (March 2020).

It's best if you speak to a Migration agent about your case as it seems like you do not want to be a student anymore cause of the working restrictions.

Reactions: meringue

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Correct the Bridging Visa is attached to the Student Visa - if you don't meet the conditions of the Student Visa it gets cancelled and the into removes the Bridging Visa.

Student Visa's can be quite bad for people at times.

There are other options but they are pretty nasty at times too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What other options?

Correct the Bridging Visa is attached to the Student Visa - if you don't meet the conditions of the Student Visa it gets cancelled and the into removes the Bridging Visa.

Student Visa's can be quite bad for people at times.

There are other options but they are pretty nasty at times too.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Hello,

Help!! Very stressed out
There is only one sensible thing to do and that is to keep meeting your student visa conditions until the partner visa is granted and replaces the student visa.

If your student visa is cancelled, your bridging visa will be cancelled as well, you may become unlawful and end up on a bridging visa E, which is something to avoid.

You're better off continuing with what you set out to do originally and hope that the partner visa processing won't take too long.

Reactions: meringue

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
That post is from a recommended on this forum Registered Migration Agent.

One option that could be explored to reduce time other than applying earlier (you should also look into that) is to see if an off shore application is likely to be faster.

Some countries seem to be about half the onshore process time, but there is no guarantee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.