Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
am a phd student submitted my thesis around Aug. 2014, last week (end of Jan 2015) received a letter from faculty stating that am eligible to be awarded phd degree, so, i have to prepare the final version of thesis and submit an electronic copy of it along with Final lodgement of thesis form to the graduate studies office.

I am wondering after i submit my thesis via the above-mentioned process, then when my student visa will be expired? Currently, the visa attached to my passport shows an expiry date of 8 May 2015. I heard from my friends that once i got completion degree letter, student visa will be automatically expired after 4 weeks (or 8 weeks if i gonna to apply another visa like graduation or work visa) regardless of the original expiry date attached to my passport.

Sharing any link in DIAC re. this question would be highly appreciated in advance,

Thanks for your time:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your visa will expire on 8 May 2015. You will have to lodge another visa application before that date if you wish to stay in Australia.

Regards
thanks very much for your reply Jeremy and one more question:

Can we apply for a permanent visa (e.g. Talent visa 858) when we only hold bridging visa type A or B (which we got it because of subclass 489)? Precisely, when a person holds only bridging visa and have not get his/her 489 visa yet, then can apply for 858?:confused:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You can't apply for an SC 858 visa from a bridging visa unless you meet Schedule 3001 (within 28 days of holding a substantive visa), 3003 and 3004 (the fact that you don't hold a substantive visa for reasons beyond your control AND have compelling reasons). This visa does not have the same lodging conditions as SC's 186, 187, 189 and 190).

You can lodge a Vosa SC124 from offshore if your want to.

Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't apply for an SC 858 visa from a bridging visa unless you meet Schedule 3001 (within 28 days of holding a substantive visa), 3003 and 3004 (the fact that you don't hold a substantive visa for reasons beyond your control AND have compelling reasons). This visa does not have the same lodging conditions as SC's 186, 187, 189 and 190).

You can lodge a Vosa SC124 from offshore if your want to.

Regards
Thanks very much for your quick responce,

WRT your reply can we lodge SC 124 while we are living in Australia? I learned from DIAC website that
the (only) condition for applying sc124 is that all applicant must be outside Australia when the visa is granted. So, there is no string attached for applying this class regarding living inside country in time of lodgement or visa process.am I right?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks very much for your reply.

I learned from DIAC website that:
For applynig sc124 all applicant must be outside Australia when the visa is granted. So, there is no string attached for applying this class regarding living inside Aus in time of lodgement or visa process.
1-WRT your reply can we lodge SC 124 while we are living in Australia and have bridge visa A?

2-Can we have a private Consultation with you about evaluating to see if we are eligible for this visa?

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Visa post PhD

I have completed my PhD in May and my student visa expired a few months ago. I am now working in Singapore. Can I apply for any visa for work in Australia?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.