Australia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My partner is an Australian Citizen, and we have just got married this month 3 January, 2023. I am planning to lodge the application, need answers to some questions. Before that this is what we have to prove the genuineness of our relationship.

• Traditional Marriage Certificate from Religious Ceremony
  • Court Marriage Certificate
  • Photos of Marriage Ceremony
  • WhatsApp Chats and Messages from 2017.

While lodging I have reached 18/27 slide, and don't know how to answer these questions because we have not lived together to have these evidences as she left 17 days after marriage.

'Financial aspects'
'Nature of household'
'Social aspects'
'Nature of commitment'
'Development of relationship'

How should we proceed from here, as she have to study further, her classes are starting soon, and she can't come to Australia anytime soon.

Please advice.

· Registered
180 Posts
Marriage certificate and messages are not enough evidence to apply for a partner visa.
Are you saying you don't have any financial, social or household evidence at all?

If not, you should talk to an agent to come up with a plan to gather more evidence.

It's also confusing why you mention Canada if she is applying for Australian partner visa. Are you in Canada and your wife is in India and she is planning to continue studying in India?
If you have no plans to live together you might not qualify for a partner visa.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marriage certificate and messages are not enough evidence to apply for a partner visa.
Are you saying you don't have any financial, social or household evidence at all?

If not, you should talk to an agent to come up with a plan to gather more evidence.

It's also confusing why you mention Canada if she is applying for Australian partner visa. Are you in Canada and your wife is in India and she is planning to continue studying in India?
If you have no plans to live together you might not qualify for a partner visa.
Sorry, that was typo. I am in India, and want to live together with her in Australia. How will agents gather more evidence, if we never stayed together. Also, should I apply for a visitor visa before or after 309?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
180 Posts
Another option would be to apply for a visitor visa first, then gather more evidence in Australia, then apply for onshore partner visa in Australia.

But again, in your situation you should probably hire an agent to discuss your options.

An agent won't create new evidence but they can help you understand if you are eligible to apply now, or if you need to make a plan how to gather more evidence.

Besides, you might have more evidence than you realise. Have you ever helped each other financially, gifts etc? Did you share any wedding or travel costs? Do you have a will? Any joint financial goals?
Social - when did you announce that you were a couple - do you have any emails, social media posts, invitations etc addressed to you both as a couple? Statements from both families about your relationship history?
Household - statement about how you plan to share your household responsibilities when you start living together in Australia.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another option would be to apply for a visitor visa first, then gather more evidence in Australia, then apply for onshore partner visa in Australia.

But again, in your situation you should probably hire an agent to discuss your options.

An agent won't create new evidence but they can help you understand if you are eligible to apply now, or if you need to make a plan how to gather more evidence.

Besides, you might have more evidence than you realise. Have you ever helped each other financially, gifts etc? Did you share any wedding or travel costs? Do you have a will? Any joint financial goals?
Social - when did you announce that you were a couple - do you have any emails, social media posts, invitations etc addressed to you both as a couple? Statements from both families about your relationship history?
Household - statement about how you plan to share your household responsibilities when you start living together in Australia.
The scene is a bit complicated. We started dating back in 2017 long-distance. We have been together for 3 years, and we met just before Covid Crisis. She returned to Australia, and after that our long-distance relationship started getting affected due to the fact that we cannot see each other. So we got separated, and the relationship ended in a bitter note where we both blocked each other.

For 2 years we both tried to get along with other people and move on in life, but due to some reason or other it never worked. After that, she surprised me with a visit, while we both were single. We settled our conflicts and she told me that this type we can be together.

Her mother suggested us to take some serious step and we got married in India, with a small gathering. We only exchanged rings, and family's exchanged gifts. I have bills for them.

We also traveled to a Hill Station a week before marriage, and also stayed together for a couple of days for the court marriage work. I have hotel bills, but no evidence of cohabitation.

I think as per your suggestion, getting an agent is the best thing to do right now.

· Registered
10 Posts
The scene is a bit complicated. We started dating back in 2017 long-distance. We have been together for 3 years, and we met just before Covid Crisis. She returned to Australia, and after that our long-distance relationship started getting affected due to the fact that we cannot see each other. So we got separated, and the relationship ended in a bitter note where we both blocked each other.

For 2 years we both tried to get along with other people and move on in life, but due to some reason or other it never worked. After that, she surprised me with a visit, while we both were single. We settled our conflicts and she told me that this type we can be together.

Her mother suggested us to take some serious step and we got married in India, with a small gathering. We only exchanged rings, and family's exchanged gifts. I have bills for them.

We also traveled to a Hill Station a week before marriage, and also stayed together for a couple of days for the court marriage work. I have hotel bills, but no evidence of cohabitation.

I think as per your suggestion, getting an agent is the best thing to do right now.
sounds you are lack of solid evidences
you can lodge your 309 application, but you might wait long time to get your visa,
between waiting period case officer might ask you more evidence,
point is you have to prove your relation is true and genuine, marriage certificate is not enough,
if possible your partner come to you and live together for while,
or you go to AU with visitor visa and spent time with your partner as married couple, keep update your evidence,
but there is risk that your application get rejected with lack of evidence,

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds you are lack of solid evidences
you can lodge your 309 application, but you might wait long time to get your visa,
between waiting period case officer might ask you more evidence,
point is you have to prove your relation is true and genuine, marriage certificate is not enough,
if possible your partner come to you and live together for while,
or you go to AU with visitor visa and spent time with your partner as married couple, keep update your evidence,
but there is risk that your application get rejected with lack of evidence,
Thanks for your prompt response. I have talked to an agent and they said they can take care of the case. I need to go to Australia after lodging the application and live there with my partner.

· Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for your prompt response. I have talked to an agent and they said they can take care of the case. I need to go to Australia after lodging the application and live there with my partner.
Are they a MARA agent? As doesn't seem the best advice.
With the partner visa it is a time of application visa, meaning you need to meet the criteria when you apply. They don't have to consider evidence from after application date, though the reality is they normally do however if you are relying on that then there could be issues.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are they a MARA agent? As doesn't seem the best advice.
With the partner visa it is a time of application visa, meaning you need to meet the criteria when you apply. They don't have to consider evidence from after application date, though the reality is they normally do however if you are relying on that then there could be issues.
Yes, they are a MARA agent. I am very confused, please suggest any good consultants with vast experience.

· Registered
6,515 Posts
Westly above and Paul who also posts on here are reputable and you can trust the information they provide
Being married lets partner applicants satisfy the applicable (valid application) schedule 1 criteria.
It is irrelevant to the more important schedule 2 criteria for which it is necessary to provide documentary evidence evidence to show that a relationship is: exclusive, mutual, genuine and continuing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts