Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m a kiwi, been living here 28 years and been in/out of the country multiple times. Like most, I’m currently on a subclass 444 SVC, which was issued on rearrival from Asia last month.

If I marry my Asian girlfriend of 2 years in her own country (and this marriage is recognised by the Aust govt), can I return to Australia alone and have her apply for a subclass 461, as she is now my partner?
I know it’s only valid 5 years, but it also states it can be renewed for another 5 years and that it’s not a pathway to Aust citizenship for her (that would need application for a subclass 820 later while here)
It just seems to be a much easier (and lot cheaper) option than the prospective marriage 300 or partner 820 visa’s but I can’t help but think there’s more to it.
As we only stay in hotels whilst I’m there with her, don’t have joint banks etc etc, though we are in love and I support her financially, proving de facto would be extremely hard.

Anyone experienced on the subclass 461 NZ citizen family relationship visa that can help me, or better still done something similar? Having read through the criteria many times, I need to know if this is an option for us.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.