Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have seen many posts on this forum about the tourist visa subclass 600 but seems like our situation is quite unique so I hope someone will be able to give some advice.

Our parents were granted a subclass 600 visa for 3 years with multiple entries and maximum stay of 3 months each. The visa grant letter (and VEVO) only says there are 2 visa conditions: 8101 and 8201. The 8558 condition, which appears to be very common for this visa, does not present.

However today, as my parents were going through custom to fly back to our country, an officer said they may not be allowed to entry if they come back soon as they've been staying in Australia for almost 1 year (multiple entries of course). He did not explicitly mention the 8558 but said that they have a rule where your time in Australia and in your country should be balance.

I called up the Home Affairs and spoke to a lady officer who told me that the custom officer may have made a mistake, and that if the condition wasn't in the visa then we shouldn't be worry. That doesn't help me because from asking other tourist visa holders on Facebook, they all seem to have 8558 condition in their visa. Even migration agents said that's almost like an unwritten rule (if this even makes any sense).

I'm thinking they could still come but I'm very wary because i) custom officer may have a different opinion and can still detain them and it's not easy to argue with these people when they believe they are right and ii) even if I they let my parents through this time, there could be consequences in the future? The risks for us if our parents can make are i) we have no one to help with 2 small kids and ii) cost to cancel or delay their flights.

If anyone was in a similar situation before I really appreciate if you could share your experience. Thanks for reading a very long post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad’s current visa doesn’t have 8558 either, the visa was granted on 15 Feb 2018 and expire on 15 May 2019 with multiple entries, and doesn’t have “12 months stay from each arrival”, is that means he can stay in Australia up to 15 months in total?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.