Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am an Australian citizen who has been married to an american citizen for almost 4 years now. we live in america at the moment but will be arriving in Australia mid to late February. he is coming over on a ETA visa and ill just be coming home. I've tried talking to immigration lawyers here but can not seem to get a clear answer but one of them said because he is coming from america he has a better chance of them "letting it slide" with the ETA as a "bridging visa". If he comes over on that visa will we be allowed to file for an extension or a subclass 820/801 or a 309/100 visa to apply to live with me in Australia?

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
As long as he does not have the "no further stay condition" on that ETA, he should be ok.
Otherwise he needs to apply offshore.

I think that most low risk countries do not have that condition. But it is possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello i am an Australian citizen who has been married to an american citizen for almost 4 years now. we live in america at the moment but will be arriving in Australia mid to late February. he is coming over on a ETA visa and ill just be coming home. I've tried talking to immigration lawyers here but can not seem to get a clear answer but one of them said because he is coming from america he has a better chance of them "letting it slide" with the ETA as a "bridging visa". If he comes over on that visa will we be allowed to file for an extension or a subclass 820/801 or a 309/100 visa to apply to live with me in Australia?
Hi Ashka
Your case look like me. My hubby is an Australian citizen and we lived in Hong Kong more than 10 years(Hong Kong is my home town). We came back to oz in July this year and I came with a ETA visa. After landed, onshore apply the partner visa(subclass 820/801). I just checked up with my ETA visa(kept the copy)and dun have the "no further stay condition" on that. Noted that (subclass309/100) is a offshore application.

Hope can help, fion

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a look on this forum. you will find good information that will guide you.
I was not sure of ETA last year and I searched on this forum so many threads.
I got many tips from these threads as much as I could. I prepared for travelling and long interview at custom.

BE Prepared well!
Understand VISA system (ETA)!

You will be fine.

Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.