Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I am an Australian citizen attempting to apply for a spouse visa for my wife but she lacks a birth certificate. What can I use in place of it? The department of home affairs states we must provide a document that can prove her identity. Is there a specific document I can use?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
There are a number of options, the option you choose will depend on her situation. Indians often don't have birth certificates. They will normally use a school enrolment certificate, or, if Christian, a baptismal certificate.

If other places, the person may have to go the their local civil registry and see if they can get something there.

A national ID card may substitute.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a number of options, the option you choose will depend on her situation. Indians often don't have birth certificates. They will normally use a school enrolment certificate, or, if Christian, a baptismal certificate.

If other places, the person may have to go the their local civil registry and see if they can get something there.

A national ID card may substitute.
Thanks for the reply!

Just to be clear, I was referring to this (from dept of home affairs website):
Documents to prove your identity

One of the following:

a birth certificate showing the names of both parents:
identification pages of a family book showing the names of both parents
identification pages of an identification document issued by the government
identification pages of a court-issued document that proves your identity
identification pages of a family census register.

The page of your current passport showing your photo, personal details and passport issue and expiry dates.

Two recent passport photographs (45 mm x 35 mm):

the photograph should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background
the applicants name must be printed on the back of the photograph

A national identity card, if you have one.

Proof of change of name, if applicable.
National ID card is listed, but not among the list of documents under "One of the following:"

So I'm not entirely sure still. I asked her about the rest of the listed documents but she doesn't have any either. Will she have to return to her home country to prepare these documents? It's not something we can afford right now. I'd really appreciate any extra help, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.