Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a Swedish guy who has been offered to work for two years in Australia for a my company. I've been told getting visa in Australia is difficult, especially if you have a criminal record. Five years ago (when I was 18) I was fined for use of cannabis. Other than that, I have no criminal record. Also, the case never went to court. It was a civil offence and I got a fine. Does this hamper my chance of getting a visa?

This job opportunity is something I'm really excited about, and it would be so embarassing if my employer and my collegues found out I can't go because of this. Anyone with clear cut answers?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
There is no clear cut answer with Australian immigration. Section 501 of the migration act 1958 is about as clear as it gets.

Having a cannabis fine isn't the crime of the century, however immigration will still take it into consideration when assessing your visa.

If the visa isn't granted you don't have to let your employer know the reason why..

Laymans info
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/char

The act
MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 501 Refusal or cancellation of visa on character grounds

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you know which visa type/number? That would make it easier to research what the requirements will be.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
It'd likely be a 482 visa which is a temporary employer-sponsored visa so that you can work for your employer for up to 2 or up to 4 years (depends on what your occupation is).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.