Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name's Matt and I'm an Aussie who lives in Taiwan with my wife and child. Lanen and I have been together since 2015 and married for a bit over a year. We have a young baby son Edward who is an Australian citizen by decent (has passport etc). My mum has come over to Taiwan a few times to visit us and even came over for the birth of Edward, and Edward and Lanen went back to Australia last August for a month to see family. She loves NSW and wants to stay and start her life. We'll go back to Australia again in May for 2 weeks.

I'd like to apply for a permanent residence visa for Lanen in June/July this year. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to start the process?

It seems rather overwhelming.

Kind regards,
Matt, Lanen, and Edward.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hello,

My name's Matt and I'm an Aussie who lives in Taiwan with my wife and child. Lanen and I have been together since 2015 and married for a bit over a year. We have a young baby son Edward who is an Australian citizen by decent (has passport etc). My mum has come over to Taiwan a few times to visit us and even came over for the birth of Edward, and Edward and Lanen went back to Australia last August for a month to see family. She loves NSW and wants to stay and start her life. We'll go back to Australia again in May for 2 weeks.

I'd like to apply for a permanent residence visa for Lanen in June/July this year. Can anyone guide me in the right direction to start the process?

It seems rather overwhelming.

Kind regards,
Matt, Lanen, and Edward.
Gathering and organizing your evidence can be quite overwhelming, but you're in the right place to get help. Lots of knowledgeable people here, including several RMA.

How you go about your visa depends on where you plan to lodge it. For example, if you are intending to lodge your application whilst in Taiwan, you would be applying for a s/c 309/100 visa, that's for offshore applications. If you are planning to lodge your application in May when you're in Australia with your family, that is the s/c 820/801.

Current processing times for the s/c 309/100 see 75% of applications processed within 11 months. Current processing times for the s/c 820 see 75% of applications processed within 20 months. Keep in mind that these figures vary from case to case as each application is unique to your situation.

Have a look here for the s/c 309 and here for the s/c 820.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Hi there and thank you for taking time out to respond.
Every piece of help, no matter how big or small gets us closer to home :)
The plan is to lodge in Taiwan. I have a couple of other questions if thats ok?

1. Does it make any difference if we lodge it in Australia v Taiwan?
2. Is the visa only allowed to be lodged online now?
3. My wife was adopted when she was 2 years old. She has no birth certificate. Many Taiwanese don't because if you aren't born in a hospital, you aren't issued a birth certificate, so birth certs aren't the #1 form of ID here. The important certificate is the extremely detailed Household Registry certificate which proves you are a member of a household AND a citizen of the country. She has a Taiwan passport, ID card etc and we have marriage certs, etc From your experience would the Aussie govt push for a birth certificate or are they flexible for certain cultures?

Kind regards,

Matt, Lanen, and Edward

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi there and thank you for taking time out to respond.
Every piece of help, no matter how big or small gets us closer to home :)
The plan is to lodge in Taiwan. I have a couple of other questions if thats ok?

1. Does it make any difference if we lodge it in Australia v Taiwan?
2. Is the visa only allowed to be lodged online now?
3. My wife was adopted when she was 2 years old. She has no birth certificate. Many Taiwanese don't because if you aren't born in a hospital, you aren't issued a birth certificate, so birth certs aren't the #1 form of ID here. The important certificate is the extremely detailed Household Registry certificate which proves you are a member of a household AND a citizen of the country. She has a Taiwan passport, ID card etc and we have marriage certs, etc From your experience would the Aussie govt push for a birth certificate or are they flexible for certain cultures?

Kind regards,

Matt, Lanen, and Edward
Hi Matt, happy to help where I can. I should mention that there are other individuals here who are far more knowledgeable than myself, so I will give you advice only on my personal experience.

In terms of difference, Australia v Taiwan, I can't say. Though an offshore application is usually processed faster than an onshore application. I'm not sure if Taiwan is deemed a "high risk" country or not. In my situation, we can apply at either, but have chosen onshore as we are both together and would rather a shorter wait.

As far as I know, all visa applications are done online. The department no lo get accepts paper applications.

I can't answer your question regarding your wife's birth certificate. That's the first I've seen on here, though it is probably more common than I realize.

My best advice I can give is to read the migration handbook, it will give you a lot of information and to consult an RMA. There is a sticky thread with those who frequent these forums, all of which are helpful and able to help you get on the right track to lodge your application.

Cheers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Migration Handbook?

Hey there,

Thanks for your response.

Just curious as to where I can get the 'migration handbook'?
Is it a physical book or a .pdf?

Kind regards

Matt, Lanen, and Edward

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Got it, thanks! I've never seen that booklet before.
So it's outdated? Best to stick to the link given to me by Eh?

Kind regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re : proof of identity
Taiwanese national here. I've only provided my Taiwanese passport as a proof of ID initially. A translated document of my National ID card was later requested by CO, but not birth cert or household registration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.