Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm hoping to gain some insight/clarification from any teachers in Oz. My husband and I are canadians and he is finishing his bachelor of science/bachelor of education degree next month. We are hoping to head to Australia in October and hopefully he would have a teaching contract for the 2012 school year. The only problem is we need to be sponsored by an employer on the 457 visa scheme. (as he lacks 2 years recent work experience) From what I've read this can be issued on or offshore. We ideally of course will have a job lined up before arrival. If he doesn't get a job prior to our departure we are wondering how likely it is to get sponsored once there? I should mention he is in the registration process
with all the appropriate school boards. We are also over 31 and cannot enter on a WHV.
Are there any teachers whom have been sponsored? Is this common? Ay tips or insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
You're probably going to have some difficulties I'd expect as if schools were looking to sponsor they would prefer someone with experience, and it could depend on what level of schooling he is going to be qualified to teach and whether he has any particular subjects that he has specifically trained for.
He may find he needs to get his qualifications approved first by Teaching Australia before registering with a state/territory though that may vary depending on the state or level of teaching, different states bodies listed on Secondary School Teacher - 241411 and Primary teachers will be under P.
Whereas the chances for sponsorship may be a bit slim for the more populous eastern states, if you're prepared to try somewhere warm and humid like the Northern Territory, you might want to check out their education department and next I'd try would be Tasmania, WA and Queensland.
As for coming out in October, using a visitor visa like the ETA is possible for a visit and it will not have a No Further Stay condition on it but you ought to be in the frame of mind that you are just making a visit, even if it is a recce trip for Immigration regulations are all about using the right visa for intent so do not go talking about how you've come to find work if you get questioned on arrival.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! He is a secondary sciences teacher. We are currently applying to independent/international schools and will see what the responses are and go from there. Thanks for your insight and we will be sure to check out all the mentioned areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.