Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks :)

My wife and I are in the preparation process of gathering up evidence for a partner Visa and we would like to ask you a question referring to the 888 Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a partner visa.

As we are outside Australia we are to obtain a statutory declaration (statement) to support of our relationship from a friend of ours who is not an Australian citizen or Australian permanent.

As far as we are concerned such statement should be witnessed by a person with prescribed occupation or qualification. Who could be the person with requested qualification in Austria, Vienna, in order to witness the statutory declaration (form 888)?

Thank you so much for any help.

Martin

·
Registered
91 Posts
The occupations are written on the form. Can be a registered teacher, psychologist, pharmacist, doctor, registered nurse, lawyer and probably a lot more but not gonna go and find the whole list. I suggest going to a Justice of Peace or Commissioner for Declarations since I know profession requirements can be vastly different in other countries so not sure immigration's requirement for that. Like in my husband's country, nurses and teachers don't need a registration or formal qualification. We use those terms here but basically is there someone in your country who has the legal power to witness and sign as witness to important legal documents?

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Hey folks :)

My wife and I are in the preparation process of gathering up evidence for a partner Visa and we would like to ask you a question referring to the 888 Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a partner visa.

As we are outside Australia we are to obtain a statutory declaration (statement) to support of our relationship from a friend of ours who is not an Australian citizen or Australian permanent.

As far as we are concerned such statement should be witnessed by a person with prescribed occupation or qualification. Who could be the person with requested qualification in Austria, Vienna, in order to witness the statutory declaration (form 888)?

Thank you so much for any help.

Martin
To be considered as a statutory declaration, a Form 888 can only be completed by an Australian Citizen or an Australian Permanent resident.
You can however use the form to make a statement. I quote:
"If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident and
you reside outside Australia, your statement cannot be
considered a statutory declaration under Australian law, even if
it is made using this form or the template provided by the
Attorney-General's Department. However, under policy, your
statement should be witnessed or certified according to the
legal practices of the country in which you make the
statement. Failing that, it should be witnessed by a person
whose occupation or qualification is comparable to those
listed above. This person should sign, date and specify their
occupation at the bottom of the statement.
You should confirm the requirements with the nearest
Australian mission overseas when you lodge your application.
Contact details for Australian missions are available on the
department's website www.border.gov.au"

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/forms/documents/888.pdf lays it out clearly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys, thank you heaps for you advice, very much appreciated. We´re thinking of having it signed by a full-time international school teacher hoping their occupation/qualification is comparable to those requested in Australia.
Thanks once again.
M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.