Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband applied for the 820/801 visa last August, we are expecting them to approve both at the same time because we’ve been together for a long time, I’m an Australian citizen and my husband is from Ireland. the requested my police check last November, my Husband did his medical in janurary without them requesting it. We are going through a lawyer who is terrible at passing on information to us, we can’t even check on his case through his immi account.

We hadn’t heard anything else from immigration until yesterday when our lawyer emailed saying they’d opened our case and we’re condicting necessary checks. I emailed her back asking if we should apply for his afp clearance but she said no they hadn’t requested it yet.

Anyway, an hour or so ago, my husband gets a phone call from immigration saying they had sent him an email approving his permernant residency, but to disregard it because they don’t have his afp clearance. (We haven’t received the email, I’m assuming they sent it to our lawyer instead) she said if we can get his afp certificate to them in the next 24 hours they visa will still be approved, otherwise they need to cancel the visa and will need to start all over again with our application.

I have so many questions!

A) HOW can they accidentally approve a visa? This is so frustrating.

B) is it at all possible to get an afp check in 24 hours? We applied for mine online and it took over a month. Is there any way of doing this? Flying to Canberra tomorrow morning and applying in person maybe?

C) what is going to happen when we can’t get it to her on time? She said the process will need to be started again, does that mean put back in the bottom of the pile and wait for a new case officer?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
A. No idea.

B. I recently applied and got an email in 22 hours that the check was completed and in the mail. Got it a few days later.

C. No idea.

D. Try and get anything they say to you in writing (e.g., email).

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
we can't even check on his case through his immi account.
If this were allowed, you would be able to view other applications (assuming there are others) but upon your request, a registered migration agent MUST provide you with a copy of your application.

If a visa has been granted THEY CANNOT cancel it without going through the required legal steps.

Immi can phone the Feds and ask whether anything is known and if nothing is known proceed to grant, and used to do so. Nowadays it is - all snouts to the trough.

Complaining to the minister for Foreign Au Pairs is not likely to be productive, however you might instruct your lawyer to complain to your local federal member.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.