Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Time away from my partner is relevant?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  voebe 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm from Portugal applying for the Partner Visa Offshore (Madrid Embassy).
I've been following this forum for awhile and got some goog tips and clarifications for my application. I have the paperwork almost ready but something continues to worry me and I'm writing just to hear some opinions.

I've been in Australia for 4years with a Student Visa. I met my Australian partner while there and we lived together for two years (dec2008 - dec2010). In 2009 he was deployed overseas with the Australian Army for 9months (worst time ever), and although we met for Holidays we was away from our house all those months.
In Dec2010 I came back to Portugal first and he followed me 6months after (a long wait...), and we lived here for other 6months (July2011 - Jan2012). We decided that it was getting to hard both both of us to get a job and a good quality living here se we decided to move back to Australia. He went back just last January straight to his old job and to get things ready, while I stay here to apply for the offshore Visa.

So, we have been in a de-facto relationship since we moved in together back in dec2008, but we were fisically apart for 9months in 2010, and other again for the first semester last year.
My question is: since they ask for a relationship for the past 12 months, will I have a problem with this time apart?

See less See more
#2 ·
Document your communication

Dear Jopatalogica,

The most important thing you will have to do is show how you and your partner stayed connected during your time apart. You've got your two years of living together - that is good - and being posted overseas for military service is certainly a good "excuse" for being apart.

Can you show letters, phone call records, Skype records, emails - items that show how closely you communicated while you were apart? If so - include them. I had Skype records that showed we talked EVERY DAY we were apart (I had work outside of Australia for a while). I had email records that showed we wrote each other about twice a day (in addition to Skype). Show how hard you worked to stay together during your separation.

And...best of luck!

Susan

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Susan.
we do in fact have tons of emails to show (I've printed a few as examples and the rest just as list on Hotmail. I didn't think of getting the Skype history before (that was a great idea!), and now I just saw that you can only go back 6 months, so no use for my situation.

Let's hope it's enough!

Cheers,
Jo

#4 ·
Be careful to make sure you have fulfilled the 12 month living together requirement.

I read a post weeks ago about someone who was refused because of that.

Make sure you live together for 12 continous months before you lodge your application. I mean a few weeks when a person went to visit a sick relative or had army requirement they would probably allow as long as you provide proof you stayed in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.