Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who have had your 309 Partner Visa approved in around 6 months or less in 2017, why do you think it was approved faster than the average wait time?

Was it to do with the longevity of your relationship? Married v de facto? Dependent children? Was it because you already completed your police checks prior to submission? Was your partner from a low risk country?

My de facto partner and I were in a long-distance relationship for 1.5 years and have been living together in Switzerland for the past 12 months. We plan to apply for our 309 Partner Visa in March 2018.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I think it is pretty much the luck of the draw. Generally, applications are processed in the order they are received. For a while they were prioritising decision-ready applications from low risk countries (to meet their clearance rate), but I believe it is back to "normal' now. I deal with partner visas from a wide variety of nationalities at different processing centres and I can't see any rhyme or reason in how applications are dealt with. Im sure there are all sort of theories and rumours out there, but I'd take them all with a pinch of salt.

The best thing you can do is provide plenty of good evidence with the application when you lodge it and wait a while with police certificates (for the visa applicant) and visa medicals. The sponsor should provide police certificates with the application.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To receive earlier - apply earlier ;)
Why waiting till March?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
It takes time to collect evidence. As this is essentially a life-altering decision, it would be idiotic to apply without a complete, foolproof application.
Absolutely. Many people rush and put in flawed applications, which can lead to all sort of misery down the track. You are better of waiting a bit and putting in a solid application. This will avoid unnecessary delays and probably provide a quicker result in the long run.

Reactions: sanjay86

·
Registered
12 Posts
It takes time to collect evidence. As this is essentially a life-altering decision, it would be idiotic to apply without a complete, foolproof application.
I go through this process right now, and it took me three weeks to get most of the documents.
And I aplyied without complete pacage. I guess I did an "idiotic" thing. :D

I understand that cases are different, but three months... I don't know what can you be collecting for that long.

PS. I lounged my application on 20 of November and have been uploading all my documents during 2 weeks after that. On 12th of December I've been asked for an extra documents (police checks and medical check)

I'm not trying to change your mind, it is everyone's decision how to apply. But you asking a question how to reduce the waiting time, I answered - try harder, gather documents sooner and apply sooner... but again, your case maybe super complex and I don't know all the details. But you asked, I gave my opinion, that's all ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I go through this process right now, and it took me three weeks to get most of the documents.
And I aplyied without complete pacage. I guess I did an "idiotic" thing. :D

I understand that cases are different, but three months... I don't know what can you be collecting for that long.

PS. I lounged my application on 20 of November and have been uploading all my documents during 2 weeks after that. On 12th of December I've been asked for an extra documents (police checks and medical check)

I'm not trying to change your mind, it is everyone's decision how to apply. But you asking a question how to reduce the waiting time, I answered - try harder, gather documents sooner and apply sooner... but again, your case maybe super complex and I don't know all the details. But you asked, I gave my opinion, that's all ;)
Well done, 3 weeks. Would you like a prize? I hope you checked your grammar and spelling when writing your relationship statement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well done, 3 weeks. Would you like a prize? I hope you checked your grammar and spelling when writing your relationship statement.
Wow... why so rude?

I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Why write here if you are not ready to hear answers you don't like?

PS. I hope CO won't judge how genuine our relationship based on my grammar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is pretty much the luck of the draw. Generally, applications are processed in the order they are received. For a while they were prioritising decision-ready applications from low risk countries (to meet their clearance rate), but I believe it is back to "normal' now. I deal with partner visas from a wide variety of nationalities at different processing centres and I can't see any rhyme or reason in how applications are dealt with. Im sure there are all sort of theories and rumours out there, but I'd take them all with a pinch of salt.

The best thing you can do is provide plenty of good evidence with the application when you lodge it and wait a while with police certificates (for the visa applicant) and visa medicals. The sponsor should provide police certificates with the application.
Thank you for your excellent advice.

·
Banned
252 Posts
You're an idiot. How's that for proper grammar. Not everyone's mother tongue is English. Maybe you'll get denied if you act like that with DIBP.

Someone is trying to help you, if you don't want their help, don't be so f-ing rude. So many people have lost any sense of civility.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So many people have lost any sense of civility.
From trolling threads to replies like this, it seems to have gone down hill pretty fast in the last little while. Not sure what's going on.
Holiday hangover for some folks, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
This is an international forum and many users (including myself) are not native English speakers. As far as I understand this forum is set up for people to share information and experience and to support each other in the endeavour they all share: to migrate to Australia. Attacking people about their language skills is just not on. This is not FaceBook and no place for trolling or personal attacks. Be kind and be tolerant.

As for the original question: I recently lodged a partner visa for a couple who were both in Australia. They were very organised, highly literate people, who had already done a lot of preparation by the time they contacted me. It then still took us about 3 weeks to get everything ready for lodgement. My average client takes 2 to 3 months to get all the documentation together, especially where one of the partners is overseas.

There are many factors out of your control that will determine how long it will take to process your visa: government policy, staffing levels and volume of applications at the particular processing centre, your nationality, the case officer etc. etc.

What you can control is the quality of your application: make sure the forms are filled out correctly, provide good evidence, cover all bases, make it easy for the case officer to tick all the boxes. Do spend some time to get all the supporting documentation in the correct format, the correct orientation (not upside down or sideways), in the right order, grouped in a logical fashion and clearly labeled. Don't upload single pictures. Create a photo-book with dates and comment. Don't include pages of small print form airline tickets, just the 2 main pages with travel details will do. Do not upload multiple pages of a single document separately. Don't combine different documents into one file unless they are relevant to each other. Keep in mind that a total stranger, who knows nothing about you, will be looking at all this, so try and make it easy for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is an international forum and many users (including myself) are not native English speakers. As far as I understand this forum is set up for people to share information and experience and to support each other in the endeavour they all share: to migrate to Australia. Attacking people about their language skills is just not on. This is not FaceBook and no place for trolling or personal attacks. Be kind and be tolerant.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so volatile. To explain, it felt as though Nataly_tiho was acting very arrogantly and flippantly about something which is really very serious.

Advice such as 'try harder' and 'apply sooner' is not really useful. I have no doubt all of us are trying our best and applying as soon as possible. I certainly am.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so volatile. To explain, it felt as though Nataly_tiho was acting very arrogantly and flippantly about something which is really very serious.

Advice such as 'try harder' and 'apply sooner' is not really useful. I have no doubt all of us are trying our best and applying as soon as possible. I certainly am.
It is very easy to misunderstand or misinterpret what people mean. What may seem well-meant, straightforward or humorous to some, may come across as offensive or abrupt to others.It's best to give people the benefit of the doubt and take some deep breaths before responding.

·
Banned
252 Posts

No, I don't buy that. You attacked a forum user with venom. You do not belong here. Period! Go somewhere else to troll.

·
Banned
252 Posts
I think it's time for everyone to have a cup of tea, a BEX, and a good lay down.
As Nick has said misunderstandings due to language barriers are common, as both parties have apologised, let's just leave it rest.
Steve, I appreciate your attempt to diffuse the situation, I had my cup of tea, but icecream was very clear on their intent to inflict harm. These morons need to be called out to ensure the future of this forum's intent, (in my opinion), which is all that counts at this moment, as we are all anonymous to each other. Hope he/she get's denied. Pox on he/she mofo!

I've taken a screenshot of this thread and will forward it to my CO friend. So there..let's see how it plays out. Careful what you put out on the internet....

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
I think it's time for everyone to have a cup of tea, a BEX, and a good lay down.
As Nick has said misunderstandings due to language barriers are common, as both parties have apologised, let's just leave it rest.
You make a lot of sense, Steve, as usual.

When I first moved to Australia, I was amazed to find that expressions and statements that were perfectly acceptable in the Netherlands were deemed too direct ,and even abrupt, in Australia.

I imagine something similar plays in most languages. Although we use English as common language here, since this is an International forum, we should all be aware of this.

Reactions: Arianwen
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.